MLA ’19 General Information
Online Registration Now Open! Early-Bird ends April 3, 2019.
Posters and Lightning Talk submissions accepted through January 25, 2019, 6:00 p.m. CST.
The Paper and Immersion Session (formerly special content sessions) abstract submission site is now closed. Authors who submitted a paper or Immersion Session abstract should have received accept/non-accept emails by December 7, 2018.
This is MLA’s premier event and draws more than 2,400 participants including medical librarians and other health information professionals, international attendees, and exhibitors. MLA ’19 offers a variety of opportunities for attending educational sessions, seeing the latest products in the Exhibit Hall, and networking with colleagues.
The meeting is a 4 and 1/2 day interdisciplinary educational experience, with a 2-day commercial exhibition that attracts over 100 exhibitors from around the world. New this year:
- 50% more breakout sessions
- 23 new 80 minute Immersion Sessions with in-depth perspectives on a specific topic in a smaller, interactive setting
- Sessions organized around MLA's new seven areas of practice: information services, information management, education, professionalism and leadership, innovation and research practice, clinical support, and global health and health equity
- Hottest Ticket in Chi-Town Networking Event, Tuesday, May 7, 2019
- Preliminary program and meeting website include description of Immersion Sessions, listing of all Papers, and full description of pre-meeting Continuing Education courses.
View your invitation to attend from James Dale Prince, AHIP, and Mellanye J. Lackey, AHIP, Cochairs of the 2019 National Program Committee.
Medical Library Association
Who Should Attend
119th Annual Meeting and Exhibition
Hyatt Regency Chicago
151 E. Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601
Friday and Saturday, May 3–4:
Pre-Meeting Continuing Education (CE) Courses
Saturday, May 4 (5:00pm):
Welcome Reception and Opening of the Hall of Exhibits
Sunday–Wednesday, May 5–8
- Pre-Meeting (May 3-4): 16 continuing education courses (separate registration fee required)
- 4 keynotes: 60 to 90 minute plenary sessions featuring outstanding speakers on leading edge topics
- 2 MLA leadership updates
- 1 National Library of Medicine (NLM) update
- 23 Immersion Sessions: 80 minute in-depth perspectives on a specific topic in a smaller, interactive setting
- 105 Papers in 21 sessions: paper presentations (15 minutes each) on scholarly topics
- 52 Lightning Talks: brief verbal presentations (5 minutes each) focused on one main point
- 200+ Posters: visual presentations with pictures, data, graphs, diagrams, narrative text and more
- Career Planning Center
- MLA association meetings
- 13+ hours of exhibit hours with 100+ exhibitors
- Hosted educational opportunities from exhibitors that help you develop expertise in the products you use and buy
- Tuesday Night Networking Event and OpenMic
A Diverse, Inclusive and Accessible Meeting
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are the threads that strengthen the fabric of the Medical Library Association.
MLA’s goal is to ensure that members, volunteers, and staff have a high level of awareness related to diversity, equity and inclusion issues, and ensure that our organizational behavior reflects the diversity of the profession, and of those we serve at our institutions.
MLA works to make sure your experience will be a pleasant and accessible one. Visit the Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility page for features we have in place to ensure that MLA '19 is accessible to all.
Make your case to attend
Attending a meeting can be a challenge. Make your case to attend MLA '19 by explaining how each session—along with special programs and networking events—will make you a more valuable employee and benefit your organization:
- Focus on the benefits of your attendance at the meeting
- Demonstrate your commitment and service to the association like presenting a paper or poster, volunteering, or collaborating efforts for association improvement
- Emphasize the benefits to your institution; such as opportunity for your professional development and the return-on-investment that your institution will receive from your attendance
Need help convincing your boss to let you attend MLA '19? Use the Make Your Case Worksheet to develop your evidence-based talking points.
Today’s economic climate makes getting approval and support to attend conferences more challenging than ever. However, MLA '19 funding opportunities are still available. Be sure to take advantage of the new travel grant to support your MLA ’19 meeting attendance.
Start your MLA '19 journey
Explore Pre-Meeting CE courses
Explore Session Content
- Overview by Topic (Keynotes, Immersion Sessions, Papers, CE courses and more)
- Featured Speakers
- Online Program & Itinerary Planner (link available early March)
- Preliminary Program (PDF)
- Schedule at a Glance (PDF)
Plan Your Association Journey
- 2019 Awards and Recognitions
- MLA Open Forum
- Networking Events
- Tuesday Night: GET ON BOARD - Hottest Ticket in Chi-Town Networking Event
Get the Most From Your Industry Partners
- Industry Connections, including educational sessions in Sunrise Seminars, Lunch and Learns, and Technology Showcases (details available in March)
- MLA '19 Hall of Exhibits
Take Charge of Your Career Development
The MLA '19 Career Planning Center provides individual professional development planning, a Resumé Clinic, onsite Job Placement Center, and access to experts about MLA's Academy of Health Information Professionals.