MLA delivers its programs to members and the public through the following organization:
- Elected Members and Appointed Officials
Membershipelects the MLA Board of Directors from a slate of candidates selected and vetted by the MLA Nominating Committee, elected as well by the membership. The Board of Directorsets MLAstrategy, approves the budget and appoints the Executive Director, and the editors of the MLA News and Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA) publications. The Executive Committee is part of the MLA Board of Directors.
Members participate in a number of MLA committees and
- Standing Committees have annual responsibilities for furthering MLA's plans, goals, strategies, programs, and projects.
- Juries recommend recipients of awards, grants, scholarships, and fellowships.
- Editorial boards are appointed to serve as peer-review and evaluation boards for MLA publications.
- Taskforces are appointed for a specific study or activity
Members create and share resources, and network in MLA Caucuses and Chapters. Those entities are represented in two councils, whose respective chairs sit on the Board of Directors as ex-officio voting members:
- Community Council
- Chapter Council
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP)
Members and non-members are credentialed by the Academy, led by a specific committee of expert members
Members who become MLA Fellows are recognized as leaders in the
profession,and contribute to MLA in various ways.
As an MLA member, you are invited to participate in MLA committees and other activities.
Useful Documents and Information (members only)
- Governance Documents
- Bylaws are the rules that provide for the orderly management of the association. In August 2016, the membership approved revised Bylaws, effective on January 1, 2017, replacing the 2009 Bylaws and eliminating the Special Rules of Order.
In August 2016, the Board of Directors approved the new policy on membership, effective
2017 (2017 membership season), in compliance with the revised Bylaws. January,
- Parliamentary Procedures guide the conduct of business, board and committee meetings
- File libraries
- Audited financial statements
- Board of Directors meeting minutes
- Annual reports (committees, task forces, caucuses, chapters, allied representatives)