MLA delivers its programs to members and the public through the following organization:
- Elected Members and Appointed Officials
- Membership elects the MLA Board of Directors from a slate of candidates selected and vetted by the MLA Nominating Committee, elected as well by the membership.
- The Board of
Directorsets MLAstrategy, approves the budget and appoints the Executive Director, and the editors of the MLAConnect and Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA) publications.
- The Executive Committee is part of the MLA Board of Directors. It's composed of the President, Immediate Past-President, President-Elect, Treasurer, and Executive Director.
- The Finance Committee consists of the Treasurer as chair, Immediate Past-President, Executive Director, one member of the Board, and one member at-large.
Members participate in a number of MLA committees and
- Standing Committees have annual responsibilities for furthering MLA's plans, goals, strategies, programs, and projects.
- Juries recommend recipients of awards, grants, scholarships, and fellowships.
- Editorial Boards are appointed to serve as peer-review and evaluation boards for MLA publications.
- Taskforces are appointed for a specific study or activity
MLA members liaise with allied associations, agencies, networks, and organizations that share MLA's concerns.
Members create and share resources, and network in MLA Caucuses and Chapters. Those entities are represented in two councils, whose respective chairs sit on the Board of Directors as ex-officio voting members:
- Community Council
- Caucuses report to the Community Council.
- Chapter Council
- Includes representatives from each chapter.
Representatives from caucuses, committees, and publications collaborate in the domain hubs for content, programming, and communication in seven professional practice areas.
Members and non-members are credentialed by the Academy, led by a specific committee of expert members.
Members who become MLA Fellows are recognized as leaders in the
As an MLA member, you are invited to participate in MLA committees and other activities.
Useful Documents and Information (members only)
- Governance Documents
- Bylaws are the rules that provide for the orderly management of the association. In August 2016, the membership approved revised Bylaws, effective on January 1, 2017, replacing the 2009 Bylaws and eliminating the Special Rules of Order.
In August 2016, the Board of Directors approved the new policy on membership, effective
2017 (2017 membership season), in compliance with the revised Bylaws. January,
- In May 2019, the Board of Directors approved the new policies that govern Chapters and Chapter Council, in compliance with the revised Bylaws.
- In May 2020, members attending the 2020 MLA Annual Business Meeting adopted Special Rules of Order that guide the conduct of virtual business, board and committee meetings.
- Procedures for Counting a Quorum at MLA Annual Business Meetings. According to MLA Bylaws a quorum of 200 of the voting members is required for transaction of business.
- File libraries
- Audited financial statements
- Board of Directors meeting minutes
- Annual reports (committees, task forces, caucuses, chapters, allied representatives)