SitStayRead Service Project
The MLA ’19 Local Assistance Committee (LAC) is honored to partner with SitStayRead. SitStayRead is a literacy organization in Chicago that brings human and dog volunteers into low-income Chicago Public Schools to increase at-risk students' literacy skills!
Founded in 2003, SitStayRead uses an engaging curriculum, certified dogs, and dedicated volunteers to advance children's literacy. The impact of their efforts can be seen in their programming. SitStayRead partnered with the Department of School Psychology at Loyola University Chicago to evaluate the effectiveness and student achievement in fluency and comprehension. The study found that students in SitStayRead developed fluency at a rate of 47.8% greater than their non-participating peers.
Won't you help us make a difference? There are many ways you can help.
- Donate by mail: You can mail checks (made out the SitStayRead) to 2849 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60657.
- Donate online through MLANET: MLA will collect your donations through May 8, 2019, and forward to SitStayRead.
- Donate while you shop online: Select SitStayRead as your charitable organization on AmazonSmile, and the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of eligible purchases to SitStayRead at no additional cost to you. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service. Sign up now: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/20-0151074
- Donate books or other items: Check out SitStayRead’s Amazon Wishlist for books and other supplies that are needed for their classrooms.
- Donate onsite at MLA ’19: SitStayRead services are offered at no cost to partner schools and parents, they do not receive state or federal funding. SitStayRead relies on the generosity of individuals, businesses, and foundations who support its mission to advance children’s literacy skills. Your contributions support the students and programs involved in SitStayRead. Please stop by the Local Hospitality Booth located in the Grand Ballroom Foyer to drop off your donation or to make a financial contribution.