Independent Reading Program
Earn MLA CE by reading professional journal articles and books. To participate, just read an article or book and complete your article analysis application.
You can read preselected JMLA articles (articles are marked with the IRP icon in the JMLA) or self-selected professional journal articles and books that fall within one or more of MLA-defined core competencies for professional success. Receive 1 MLA CE contact hour for every article completed and 5 MLA CE contact hours for every book read.
A maximum of 5 contact hours per year can be applied towards your AHIP application or renewal, for a total of no more than 15 contact hours per a five-year credentialing period. For more information on AHIP, go to Academy of Health Information Professionals.
Participate and Earn CE Contact Hours
- Read a preselected article from the JMLA or a self-selected professional journal article.
- Pay the application fee by visiting the MLA Online Store. (Members: $15; nonmembers $30)
- Once payment is made, complete the article analysis application as directed.
- MLA will send you an email receipt of application.
- MLA will process the application and, on approval, send you a certificate recognizing the achievement.
Have questions? Please contact MLA's Professional Development Department.