MLA Top Health Websites
The Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of MLA evaluates websites based on the following criteria: credibility, sponsorship/authorship, content, audience, currency (timeliness), disclosure, purpose, links, design, interactivity, and disclaimers. The following websites have been deemed particularly useful (in each area, sites are listed in alphabetical, NOT ranked, order).
General Health Resources*
- MedlinePlus. National Library of Medicine
- A great all-around resource from the National Library of Medicine, this site provides reliable information on many health topics. Available in English and Spanish, with select content in additional languages. Disponible en Español.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Find information on the control and prevention of disease, injury, and disabilityin the United States and internationally. Disponible en Español.
- My Health. Office of Minority Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Provides resources to find information on health topics, health coverage, and the importance of participating in health research for historically exploited individuals and communities of color. Disponible en Español.
*To look for information on any health condition or diagnosis (ex., asthma, lung disease) start by searching in search MedlinePlus
- Resources for Patients. National Cancer Institute
- Learn about cancer basics, diagnosis, treatment, and managing care. LiveHelp online chat is available. Disponible en Español.
- American Cancer Society
- Get information on a variety of cancer topics, including understanding your cancer diagnosis and finding and paying for treatment. Disponible en Español.
- Patient and Caregiver Resources. National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Covers every aspect of a cancer diagnosis. The NCCN Guidelines for Patients provides patient treatment guidelines for specific cancers that are based on the same treatment information your doctors’ use. Available in multiple languages.
Complementary and Integrative Medicine
- Health Information. Health Information. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
- The NCCIH conducts and supports research and provides information about complementary health practices and products. Disponible en Español.
- Herbs at a Glance. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH)
- Get health information on a variety of herbs and learn how they may interact with your medication.
- Diabetes | Type 1 Diabetes | Type 2 Diabetes (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Visit this website to learn more about what diabetes is, how to live with it, how to manage it, and what research is being done about it. Disponible en Español.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- The ADA offers helpful resources on General Diabetes, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes including tools to know your diabetes risk, living better with diabetes and becoming a diabetes advocate.
Mental Health and Therapy Resources
- Help for Mental Illnesses. National Institute of Mental Health
- Provides resources for people with mental health concerns, including hotline information for immediate use. Information mental health and substance misuse is also provided. Disponible en Español.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Provides information on warning signs and symptoms, treatments, and coping with family member with mental illness. Disponible en Español.
- Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Use this confidential and anonymous resource to find treatment facilities in the United States for substance use/addiction and/or mental health problems.
- Mental Health Resources for Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) Massachusetts General Hospital
- This guide may be useful to BIPOC-identifying individuals seeking support for mental health concerns and/or coping with race-related stressors.
- National Organization for Rare Diseases
- NORD is committed to the identification, treatment, and cure of rare disorders through programs of education, advocacy, research, and patient services.
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center
- GARD offers reliable information on rare diseases.
- Genetics (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Find consumer-friendly information about the effects of genetic variation on human health.
Reproductive and Sexual Health
- Reproductive Health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Information covering reproductive, pregnancy, and infant health from the CDC.
- Sexual Health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Resources on sexuality and sexual relationships from the CDC.
- Sex Etc. Rutgers University
- This site offered through Rutgers University is by teens for teens with oversight by Answer, a national organization that provides and promotes access to complete sex education for young people and the adults who teach them. Features information about sex, pregnancy, relationships, sexual orientation, gender identify, and birth control.
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Provides support and practical resources to family caregivers of adults with physical and cognitive impairments, such as Parkinson’s, stroke, Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia. Available in Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.
LGBTQIA+ and Trans-Specific Resources
- GLMA: For Patients
- Find a provider and learn ten issues to discuss with your healthcare provider as an LGBTQIA+ individual.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Find information, data, and resources that are tailored to LGBTQ health from the CDC.
- LGBTQ+Health(MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Information on specific health concerns of LGBTQ+ individuals and resources to better understand gender identity and sexual orientation. Disponible en Español.
Health Care and Insurance For Those Who Need Help
- Find a Clinic. The National Association of Free & Charitable Clinics.
- For medically underserved people in their communities, search for free clinics and pharmacies across the United States.
- Health Care Options if You’re Unemployed. Heathcare.gov
- Information on finding affordable health care insurance for children and adults when you are unemployed. Available in multiple languages.
Parenting & Children’s Health
- Positive Parenting Tips Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Age-specific milestones from birth through age 17 along with parenting tips, safety, and health information from the CDC. Disponible en Español.
- KidsHealth from Nemours
- Doctor-reviewed advice on hundreds of physical, emotional, and behavioral topics — from before birth through the teen years. Disponible en Español.
- HealthyChildren.org. American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Range of topics from prenatal to young adult from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Disponible en Español.
Senior Health & Aging
- Health in Aging. American Geriatrics Society
- Expert health information for older adults and caregivers about critical issues we all face as we age.
- Health Topics. National Institute on Aging
- Provides information on a variety of health topics related to aging, from Alzheimer’s to urinary incontinence. Disponible en Español.
- Health Programs for Veterans. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Quick links to health support services provided by the Veterans Health Administration.
- Veterans and Military Health (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- A variety of information for veterans from applying for compensation and federal benefits to suicide prevention and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Disponible en Español.
Talking to Your Doctor
- Talking To Your Doctor. National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clear Communication
- Three short videos help people prepare for a healthcare visit. Additional information includes tip sheets with questions to ask the doctor, how to make the most out of a healthcare appointment and links to other helpful information. Disponible en Española.
- Doctor-Patient Communication: Talking with Your Doctor. National Institute on Aging
- Articles and worksheets to help prepare for a medical appointment, discuss difficult topics, manage medicines, choose a new doctor, and make plans for help from family caregivers.
- Patient Rights (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Offers resources that explain a patient’s rights. Topics Include information on privacy, informed consent and getting a second opinion. Disponible en Española.
End of Life Planning
- Tool Kit for Health Care Advance Planning. American Bar Association
- This tool kit contains eight self-help worksheets and resources to help people discover, clarify, and communicate what is important to them in the face of serious illness. The Conversation Project. Institute for Healthcare Advancement
- The Conversation Project. Institute for Healthcare Advancement
- Information, tools and resources to help people talk about their wishes for care through the end of life, so those wishes can be understood and respected. Resources available in English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Providing Care and Comfort at the End of Life. National Institute on Aging
- Tools and resources for providing comfort care to someone at the end of life.
Vaccine and Immunization Information
- Vaccines and Immunizations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Immunization information on: Children (Birth to 18 years); Adults (age 19+), Pregnancy and Vaccination; Travelers. Includes Immunizations Schedules. Disponible en Española.
- COVID-19 Vaccine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Information on the COVID-19 vaccine including getting ready for the vaccine and a vaccine clinic finder tool that links to State Department of Health COVID-19 Vaccine Phase and Vaccine Clinic information. Disponible en Española
- Lab Tests Online. American Association of Clinical Chemists
- Provides in depth information on lab tests – what is being tested; common questions and what results may mean. Also includes information on health conditions/diseases and health screenings.
- Medical Tests (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Information about medical tests, including what the tests are used for, why a doctor may order a test, how a test will feel, and what the results may mean. Disponible en Española.
Drugs & Supplements
- Drugs, Herbs and Supplements (MedlinePlus). National Library of Medicine
- Learn about your prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines. Includes side effects, dosage, special precautions, and more.