Naomi C. Broering Hispanic Heritage Grant
The Naomi C. Broering Hispanic Heritage Grant is endowed by MLA Past-President Naomi C. Broering, AHIP, FMLA, on the occasion of her more than 40 plus years as a member of the Medical Library Association (MLA). The Broering Hispanic Heritage Grant will award $1,000 annually to a person of Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, or a person who has an interest in Hispanic/Latino Community information services. Librarians who want to pursue a professional activity in the latest medical information services using the latest technical formats are encouraged to apply. The intent is to encourage health information professionals to gain knowledge about these important areas of practice and support MLA’s emphasis on evolving roles for the profession.
- The applicant must be a member of MLA.
- The applicant must have the potential to make or has made significant contributions to medical information services using the latest technologies.
- The applicant may be either a recent graduate or a librarian with significant experience in health sciences libraries.
- The applicant may be a member of the Hispanic/Latino minority group or have an interest in providing Hispanic/Latino Community information services.
- The applicant must be a citizen of or have permanent residence in either the United States or Canada.
- The grant may be used for professional development and/or research activities in the areas of medical information services.
- A completed application form must be submitted not later then December 1.
- The applicant must include detailed specific description of the professional development and/or research activity for which support is requested.
- The applicant must include a statement of interest/previous activity in the area of medical informatics or data management.
- The applicant must include detailed itemization of financial support requested.
- Depending on the qualifications/requests of the candidates, the jury may recommend that the grant not be awarded in a given year.
- The period of disbursement will not exceed one year past the date of the MLA annual meeting.
- MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
- Completed online application;
- Current curriculum vitae (required);
Upload a current photo to member profile for promotional purposes (optional).
Ready to Submit an Application?
- Choose the 2019 Broering Grant online application form.
- Complete online form and upload all documents no later than December 1, 11:59 p.m. (CT).
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
- 2018: Dede Rios, AHIP
- 2017: Adela V. Justice, AHIP
- 2016: none awarded
- 2015: Naomi C. Broering, AHIP, FMLA
Have a question? Contact MLA's grants coordinator.