Consumer Health Course List
- Courses approved for CHIS are listed below, with the CHIS competencies each addresses.
- Click on a course title to see its listing in MEDLIB-ED, which includes instructor contact information. If there is no link, the course is approved for CHIS but no longer offered. If the link is bad, CHIS approval has expired. Please contact the MLA's Professional Development Department for more information.
- Search the MEDLIB-ED Catalog of Consumer Health Information Specialization courses to see if a course is currently scheduled to be offered.
- If you attend an educational activity that is not listed below OR that does not indicate CHIS competencies its description in MEDLIB-ED and would like to have it considered for your application, please fill out an Individual Participant Request (IPR) form.
- Some educational activities that are offered only once are not listed below, but their CHIS competency/ies are stated in the MEDLIB-ED Catalog of Consumer Health Information Specialization courses description.
CHIS Competencies Legend
Required for Level 1
C1 - Know the Community
C2 - Know the Health Consumer
C3 - Knowledge of Subject Matter and Resources
C4 - Evaluation of Health Information
C5 - Communication, Reference, and Instruction
Required for Level 2, in addition to Level 1 requirements
C6 - Literacy and Health Literacy
C7 - Technology and Health
C8 - Ethical and Legal Issues
Use the CHIS Competencies Tracking Grid to ensure that you take courses in the required competencies.
Current as of 2/13/2024. Courses without links are no longer offered but existing credits can be used to earn CHIS.