Virginia L. and William K. Beatty MLA Volunteer Service Award
The award was established in 2007 to recognizes a medical librarian who has demonstrated outstanding, sustained service to the Medical Library Association (MLA) and the health sciences library profession. The award is named in honor of Virginia L. and William K. Beatty and recognizes their significant contributions to MLA and the profession as longtime volunteers to the association.
- The nominee must be a current member of MLA and for each of the last ten years immediately preceding the nomination. (Membership dates may be confidentially confirmed by MLA Member Services.)
- The nomination must be made for exceptional contributions to furthering the mission, goals, and objectives of MLA and the profession as demonstrated by outstanding and significant service in the association’s leadership, publications, research, special projects, or combination of these four elements.
- The nominee must not have served on the MLA Board of Directors or received a national MLA award prior to the time of nomination.
- The online submission must be completed and supporting documents uploaded no later than October 15.
- The nomination must include the following elements:
- a precise description of the nominee’s achievements
- a current curriculum vitae or resume
- any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient
- Late and incomplete nominations will not be considered.
The recipient will be notified in March and receive a cash award of $1,000 after the annual conference. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- The award application process is now closed.
- Award applicants and award recipients will be notified in March 2023 with the results.
- Nominations for the 2024 award will open in August 2023.
Past Award Recipients
- 2022: Ryan Harris, AHIP
- 2021: Nancy Schaefer, AHIP
- 2020: Margaret A. Hoogland, AHIP
- 2019: Amy Gische Lyons, AHIP, FMLA
- 2018: Molly Knapp, AHIP
- 2017: Marie Tomlinson Ascher
- 2016: none awarded
- 2015: Dolores Judkins, AHIP
- 2014: Janna Lawrence, AHIP
- 2013: none awarded
- 2012: Janet L. Cowen, AHIP
- 2011: Kay E. Wellik
- 2010: Ann C. Weller
- 2009: none awarded
- 2008: Logan Ludwig
Have a question? Contact MLA.