Virginia L. and William K. Beatty MLA Volunteer Service Award
The award was established in 2007 to recognizes a medical librarian who has demonstrated outstanding, sustained service to the Medical Library Association (MLA) and the health sciences library profession. The award is named in honor of Virginia L. and William K. Beatty and recognizes their significant contributions to MLA and the profession as longtime volunteers to the association.
- The nominee must be a current member of MLA and for each of the last ten years immediately preceding the nomination. (Membership dates may be confidentially confirmed by MLA Member Services.)
- The nomination must be made for exceptional contributions to furthering the mission, goals, and objectives of MLA and the profession as demonstrated by outstanding and significant service in the association’s leadership, publications, research, special projects, or combination of these four elements.
- The nominee must not have served on the MLA Board of Directors or received a national MLA award prior to the time of nomination.
- The online submission must be completed and supporting documents uploaded no later than November 1.
- The nomination must include the following elements:
- a precise description of the nominee’s achievements
- a current curriculum vitae or resume
- any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient
- Late and incomplete nominations will not be considered.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient receives a certificate of outstanding service at the association’s annual meeting and a cash award of $1,000 after the annual meeting. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- The Beatty nomination process is closed.
- Nominations for the 2021 award will open in September 2020.
Past Award Recipients
- 2020: Margaret A. Hoogland, AHIP
- 2019: Amy Gische Lyons, AHIP, FMLA
- 2018: Molly Knapp, AHIP
- 2017: Marie Tomlinson Ascher
- 2016: none awarded
- 2015: Dolores Judkins, AHIP
- 2014: Janna Lawrence, AHIP
- 2013: none awarded
- 2012: Janet L. Cowen, AHIP
- 2011: Kay E. Wellik
- 2010: Ann C. Weller
- 2009: none awarded
- 2008: Logan Ludwig
Have a question? Contact MLA's awards coordinator.