The 125-Year Retrospective Task Force is hard at work preparing for MLA’s 125th anniversary, May 2, 1898. Our goal is to celebrate and memorialize our diverse heritage with activities that engage members throughout the anniversary year beginning with the Annual Conference in Detroit (May 16-19, 2023) through end of the Annual Conference in Portland, Oregon (May 18-21, 2024).
To kick-off the anniversary year, MLA President Shannon Jones, AHIP, FMLA, will co-host a champagne toast at the opening of the Hall of Exhibits. Our Exhibitor sponsor will join President Jones in leading the celebration. And yes, there will be cake, at the closing ceremony to officially launch the year-long celebration. The Task Force is also planning a self-guided tour within the Convention Center, with historical markers highlighting significant MLA milestones, people, awards, and events.
Other activities we are planning include:
- Updating the MLA Milestones and MLA 100 Most Notables to include milestones and influencers from the last 25 years reflecting diverse experiences and voices
- Publishing a JMLA 125th Anniversary Issue (April 2024) highlighting significant activities and trends from our history that is intended to include the perspectives of diverse member authors
- Collaborating with chapters and caucuses to procure and/or develop histories celebrating their group’s history since inception
- Hosting a “virtual Jeopardy” event, with MLA trivia from the last 125 years
To hear more about the 125th-anniversary planning, save the date for our Open Forum on January 18, 2023, 1:00-2:00 p.m., central time. During this session, you will have an opportunity to hear updates from these four groups engaged in anniversary activities:
- MLA 125-Year Retrospective Task Force
- MLA History Committee
- MLA Vision 2048 Task Force
- MLA Archives Task Force
Stay tuned for more info. On behalf of the Task Force, we look forward to celebrating with all of you!