I once heard a colleague liken meeting attendance to being onboard a cruise ship. You have access to gourmet-style food, alcohol, parties and handsome people, and all that city life has to offer. It can be challenging to eat healthily, limit caffeine intake and get plenty of sleep on a bed that is not your own. Over the years, I have learned from other MLA members self-preservation tactics to conferencing well.
- Plan your meal times ahead of time. Do not go hungry. Ask your host what is on the menu. Keep handy a food diary app to control the urge to overeat.
- Keep to a plant-based diet, as many catered foods are prepared in fats and creams, and contain a higher salt content.
- Drink lots of water. Bring a water bottle and enjoy the fresh water from the Great Lakes.
- Limit consumption or choose not to drink alcohol at all. See #3.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep. It is okay to leave the party early!
- Stretch, stand and flex your muscles throughout the day.
- Limit how much materials you pick up in the exhibit hall. Travel home light.