Marjorie Bernice Wannarka, 1929–2013
Year Fellowship Conferred: 1992
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, member, 1974
- Editorial Committee/Participatory Panel, Vital Notes, member, 1974–1982
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, news editor, 1969–1975
- MLA Vital Notes, appointed editor, 1974
- American Association of College of Pharmacies, Libraries Section, MLA representative, 1969–1987
- Joint Commission on Pharmacy School Libraries (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy), MLA representative, 1966–1969
- Joint Committee on Standards for Pharmacy School Libraries (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy), MLA representative, 1957–1962
- Pharmacy Library Group, MLA Nominating Committee, candidate, 1973, 1980; chair, 1966–1967; secretary, 1959–1960
- Midcontinental Chapter, Octasphere (newsletter,) editor, 1979–1986; chapter chair, 1974
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1992
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished member
- Murray Gottlieb Prize, 1968. [Published as: Wannarka M. Medical collections in public libraries of the United States. Bull Med Lib Assoc.1968 Jan;56(1):1–14 [cited 27 May 2014].
- Certified Medical Librarian
- Creighton University, two Distinguished Staff Awards
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Oversaw three library moves and the building of new library, which won several architectural awards
- Instrumental in merging the School of Medicine Library with St. Joseph’s Hospital Library and several collections from other health sciences schools
- Founding director of the Health Sciences Library/Learning Resources Center
Publications (5 representative)
- Wannarka M. Effective on-the-job training: developing library human resources [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1987 Jul;75(3):271 [cited 14 Dec 2013].
- Wannarka MB. A training program for the end user in the academic health sciences center. Med Ref Serv Q. 1986 Summer;5(2):95–101.
- Wannarka MB. New library buildings: Creighton University Bio-Information Center. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Apr;68(2):230–7 [cited 14 Dec 2013].
- Wannarka MB; Dietz N; Reilly RT. Creighton centennial celebration : 1878–1978, the bibliography of the Creighton founders and Creighton University. Omaha, NE: Creighton University, Creighton Centennial Celebration Historical Committee; 1978.
- Wannarka MB. Dr. George Milbry Gould: ophthalmologist and first president of the Medical Library Association. Bull Hist Med. 1968; 42(3):265–71.
- Director, University Archives, 1991–2006; Director, Health Sciences Library, 1977–1991; Librarian, School of Medicine and School of Pharmacy Library, 1953–1977; Creighton University, Omaha, NE
MLA published statements about the fellow
- In Memoriam, MLA News, 2013 Sep; 53(8) [cited 27 May 2014]. <https://www.mlanet.org/members/mla_news/pastissue.html>.
- Byrd GD, ed. Proceedings, Ninety-second Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Washington, District of Columbia May 15–21, 1992. Award presentations. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1993 Jan;81(1):113 [cited 27 May 2014].
- MA, University of Minnesota–Minneapolis, 1967
- BA, St. Catherine’s University, St. Paul, MN, 1952