MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, chair, 2007
- Task Force on Librarians without Borders®, member, 2006–2007
- Vital Pathways Project, chair, 2005–2009
- Scholarly Publishing Task Force, member, 2005–2007
- President-elect, president, immediate past president, 2004–2007
- National Program Committee, member, 1992; chair, 2004
- MLA/PEW Internet & American Life Project Task Force, chair, 2001–2002
- Board of Directors, member, 1998–2001
- Chapter Council, 1994–1997, chair/chair-elect, 1997–2001; Chapter Centennial Work Group, chair, 1995–1998
- Public Services Section: chair-elect/chair/past-chair, 1995–1997; secretary/treasurer, 1990–1992; Nominating Committee, chair, 1997–1998
- White House Conference on Library and Information Science (WHCLIS) Task Force, member, 1991–1992
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter (MAC), MLA: Strategic Planning Task Force, member, 2001–2002; Nominating Committee, member, 2000; Chapter Council, representative, 1994–1997; Local Arrangements Committee, cochair, 1996; Honors and Awards Committee, chair, 1992–1993; program chair/chair/immediate past chair, 1988–1991; MLA Nominating Committee, MAC nominee, 1992; Bylaws Committee, chair, 1990–1991; Professional Recognition and Awards, chair, 1991–1992
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, MLA, 2009
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Estelle Brodman Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, 1997
- Librarian of the Year, MAC/MLA, 1996
- Service Recognition Award, MAC/MLA, 1991
- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Pittsburgh, School of Information Sciences, 2011
- Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Fraternity
- Phi Delta Kappa Honorary Education Fraternity
- Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theater Fraternity
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Believes in bringing people, technology, and information together, while always maintaining a sense of humor
- Southeastern/Atlantic Regional Medical Library Services contract with the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, principal investigator, 2011–2016
- Information Resources Grants to Reduce Health Disparities, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, principal investigator,2011–2014
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries: president-elect, president, past president, 2011–2014; Future Leadership Committee, board liaison, 2009–2012; Board of Directors, member, 2008–2011; Charting the Future Committee, chair, 2006–2009
- Lyrasis: Board of Trustees, member, 2010–2013, vice chair, 2012–2013; Nominating Committee, chair, 2012
- PALINET Board of Trustees, member, 2007–2009
- New England Journal of Medicine Library Advisory Committee, member, 2007–2009
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), Library Advisory Committee, member, 2004–
- Maryland Association of Health Sciences Librarians: newsletter coeditor, 1988–1992; program chair/chair/immediate past chair, 1986–1989
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Tooey MJ. Renovated, repurposed, and still “one sweet library”: a case study on loss of space from the Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):40–3. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.98.1.014.
- Tooey MJ. A pathway for hospital librarians: why is it vital? J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):268–72. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.010.
- Tooey MJ, Mayo A. Handheld technologies in a clinical setting: state of the technology and resources. AACN Clin Issues Nurs Inform Found Nurs Prof. 2003 Aug;14(3):342–9.
- Weise FO, Tooey MJ. Planning for health science library facilities. In: Forsman R, ed. Administration and management in health sciences libraries. Metuchen, NJ: Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 2000. (Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, vol. 8).
- Tooey MJ. Planning an Internet curriculum [education and training]. Med Ref Serv Q. 1995;14(2):85–9.
- Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 2009–
- Executive Director, Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 2004–
- Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, 2004–
- Deputy Director with oversight of Computing and Technology Services Division, Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1999–2003
- Associate Director for External Services and Development, Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1997–1999
- Project Manager, new Health Sciences and Human Services Library building, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1992–1999
- Assistant Director for Information and Instructional Services, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1993–1996
- Director, Reference and Information Management Services, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1992–1993
- Assistant Director, Information Services, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1989–1992
- Head, Information Management Education, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1986–1989
- Clinical Reference Librarian, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 1985–1986
- Media/Reference Librarian, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, 1982–1985
- Public School Librarian, various school districts in the Greater Pittsburgh area, 1976–1982
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Weise FO. Mary Joan (MJ) Tooey, AHIP, Medical Library Association president 2005–2006. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Jul;93(3):311–4. [cited 20 Jun 2012].
- Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Proceedings, 109th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Honolulu, HI, May 15–20, 2009: Awards ceremony. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):E1–E39. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1559-9439.98.1.E1.
- MLS Information Science, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1982
- BS Education/Library Science, Clarion University of Pennsylvania–Clarion, 1976
Contributed by M. J. Tooey