MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Education Steering Committee, member, 2019–2020
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship Jury, and Section Project of the Year Award Jury, liaison, 2018–2019
- Federal Libraries Section, secretary, 2017–2019; chair-elect, chair, Nominating Committee chair, 2008–2011
- Hospital Libraries Section, chair-elect, chair, past-chair, 2013–2016, secretary, 1993–1994
- Scholarly Communications Committee, member, 2012–2014
- Section Council, Credentialing Committee liaison, 2010–2014
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship Jury, chair, 2013–2014, member, 2012–2013
- Ethics Task Force, member, 2008–2011
- Pharmacy and Drug Information Section, Bylaws Committee, chair, 2006–2009
- Leadership and Management Section, Section Council representative-elect, 2007–2008
- Vital Pathways for Hospital Librarians Task Force, member2006–2008
- Research Section, Hypothesis, coeditor, 2005, editor, 2006–2007
- Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section, treasurer, 2005–2006, secretary-treasurer, 2001–2005
- Continuing Education Committee, member, 1999–2002, chair-elect, chair, 2002–2004
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter: secretary, 2010–2012; Quad Chapter Meeting Steering Committee, chapter liaison, 2011–2012; Tri-Chapter Meeting Steering Committee, cochair, 2015–2016
- Southern Chapter: Research Committee, chair, 2002–2004, chair-elect, program chair, chair, past-chair/Strategic Planning, 2005–2008
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of MLA, 2019
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship, 2013
- Hospital Libraries Section, Professional Recognition Certificate for Leadership, 1991, 1992, 2010
- Hospital Libraries Section, Scroll of Exemplary Service, 2013
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP), Distinguished Member, 1990–
- Fellow, BioMedical Informatics, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 2008
- Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education, University of Memphis, 2005
- Beta Phi Mu, International Library and Information Studies Honor Society, University of Kentucky, 1973
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- VA Library Network Mentoring Task Force, member, 2018–
- Medical Reference Services Quarterly, Hospital Information Services [annual column], coeditor, 2012–
- Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet, WebHealth Topics [quarterly column], editor, 2002–2006, coeditor, July 2006–
- WebHealth for Seniors: Training Seniors to Access Electronic Health Information, principle investigator, NLM contract N01-LM-1-3522, 2003–2005
- NLM Grateful Med contract, Rural Outreach for Physicians in Central Illinois, project director, 1990–1992
Publications (5 representative)
- Stephenson PL, Coady TR, Kromke DK, Barnett LA, Camerer CE. Consumer health and the Department of Veterans Affairs Library Network. In: Wood SM, ed. Consumer health information services and programs: best practices. New York, NY: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016. p. 103–17.
- Stephenson PL, Clever S, Coady TR, Ender D, Heyd M, Peth S. Book clubs—outreach opportunities for hospital libraries. Med Ref Serv Q. 2014 Oct;33(4):448– DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02763869.2014.957096.
- Stubbs ND, Sanders S, Jones DB, Geraci SA, Stephenson PL. Methods to reduce outpatient non-attendance. Am J Med Sci. 2012 Sep;344(3):211– DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/MAJ.0b013e31824997c6.
- Kronenfeld M, Stephenson PL, Nail-Chiwetalu B, Tweed EM, Sauers EL, Valovich McLeod TC, Guo R, Trahan H, Alpi KM, Beth Hill B, Pamela Sherwill-Navarro P, Allen MP, Stephenson PL, Hartman LM, Burnham J, Fell D, Kronenfeld M, Pavlick R, MacNaughton EW, Nail-Chiwetalu B, Bernstein Ratner N. Review for librarians of evidence-based practice in nursing and the allied health professions in the United States. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Oct;95(4):394– DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.95.4.394.
- Stephenson PL, Green BF, Wallace RL, Earl MF, Orick JT, Taylor MV. Community partnerships for health information training: medical librarians working with health-care professionals and consumers in Tennessee. Health Inf Libr J. 2004;21(suppl. 1):20–6. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/1111/j.1740-3324.2004.00498.x.
- Chief, Library Service, James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital and Clinics, Tampa, FL, 2016–
- Chief, Library Service, Cpl. Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, 2009–2016
- Chief, Library Service, G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center, Jackson, MS, 2006–2009
- Associate Professor/Coordinator Reference Services, Health Sciences Library and Biocommunications Center, University of Tennessee Health Science Center–Memphis, 2005–2006
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator Reference Services, Health Sciences Library and Biocommunications Center, University of Tennessee Health Science Center–Memphis, 1998–2005
- Director, Medical Library and Office of Continuing Medical Education, Columbia Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, Las Vegas, NV, 1995–1998
- Director, Medical Library, Baptist Hospital, Nashville, TN, 1993–1995
- Coordinator, Perlmutter Library, Illini Hospital, Silvis, IL, 1980–1993
- Instructor, Reference Services, Library Technical Assistant Certificate Program, Black Hawk Community College, Moline, IL, 1992
- Medical Librarian, Bristol Memorial Hospital, Bristol, TN, 1979–1980
- Assistant Librarian for Public Services, King College, Bristol, TN, 1975–1979
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. 2019 MLA Fellows. MLAConnect [Internet]. 23 May 2019 [cited 1 Jul 2019]. <https://www.mlanet.org/blog/2019-mla-fellows>.
- Mitchell N, ed. Honors and awards. Proceedings of the 114th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association, Inc., Boston, MA. J Med Libr Assoc. 2014 Jan;102(10):E1–E22. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/3163/1536-5050.102.1.E1.
- MSEd, leadership and educational policy studies, Northern Illinois University–DeKalb, 1984
- MSLS, library and information science, University of Kentucky–Lexington, 1973
- AB, teaching English and political science, Transylvania University, 1969
Contributed by Jean P. Shipman and Priscilla Stephenson