MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Immediate Past President, 2007–2008
- Nominating Committee Chair, 2007–2008
- President, 2006–2007
- President-Elect, 2005–2006
- Informationist Task Force Chair, 2001–2001
- Board of Directors, Member, 1999–2002; Secretary, 2000–2002
- 2001 National Program Committee, Cochair, 1998–2001
- Ida and George Eliot Prize Jury Chair, 1992–1993
- Public Services Section of the Medical Library Association, Secretary/Treasurer, 1998–2000
Special Interest Group
- Access Services Special Interest Group, Chair, 1996–1998
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter (MAC) of the Medical Library Association, Chair-Elect, 1993; Program Chair, 1992–1993
- MAC, Secretary, 1991–1992
- MAC Local Arrangements Committee, Cochair, 1992, 1990-1992
- MAC Nominee to MLA Nominating Committee Candidates, 1987-1988
- MAC, Exhibits Committee, Local Arrangements Committee, Cochair, 1987
- MAC, Governmental Relations Committee, Chair, 1984-1985
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2009
- Honorary Member, Southern Chapter, 2009
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 2006
- Distinguished Service Award, Utah Library Association, 2017
- Who’s Who in America, 2007, 2008, 2009
- National Commission on Libraries and Information Science Health Award for Libraries, National Library of Medicine, for Virginia Commonwealth University’s Community Health Information Network (COIN), May 3, 2006
- Emerald Literati Club Award for Excellence, Reference Services Review Outstanding Special Issue, Highly Commended, 2005
- Emerald Literati Club Award for Excellence, Reference Services Review Outstanding Paper, 2002
- Who's Who in Science, 1992
- Who's Who Among Young American Professionals, 2nd ed., 1992/93
- Alumni Association Service Certificate, Gettysburg College, 1991
- Who's Who of American Women, 17th and 18th eds., 1991/92
- The World Who's Who of Women, 11th ed., 1991
- Beta Phi Mu, 1980–
- Beta Beta Beta, 1977–
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central
- Shipman, JP, Tooey, MJ. co-eds. Strategic collaborations in health sciences libraries. Chandos Advances in Information Series. Cambridge, MA: Chandos Publishing, an imprint of Elsevier Ltd., 2019.
- Shipman, JP, Ulmer, BA, co-eds. Information and innovation: A natural combination for health sciences libraries. A Medical Library Association Books Series. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Leisey MR, Shipman JP. Information prescriptions: a barrier to fulfillment. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Oct;95(4):435–8. DOI: 10.3163/1536-5050.95.4.435.
- Shipman JP, Watstein SB, eds. Emerging roles of health sciences librarians, part 1 & 2”–special themed issues. Ref Serv Rev. 2005 Jan;33(1) and 2004 Jan;32(1).
- Shipman JP, Cunningham DJ, Holst R, Watson LA. The Informationist Conference: report. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002 Oct;90(4):458–64.
- Librarian Emerita, Adjunct Faculty, Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine, University of Utah-Salt Lake City, 2017-
- VP, Global Library Relations, Elsevier, New York/Amsterdam, 2017-2019
- Executive Director of Knowledge Management and the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library; Director for Information Transfer, Center for Medical Innovation; Director, MidContinental Region and National Training Office, National Network of Libraries of Medicine; Clifford C. Snyder, MD, Far Eastern Presidential Endowed Chair; Adjunct Faculty, Department of Biomedical Informatics, School of Medicine; University of Utah-Salt Lake City, 2008-2017
- Director, Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, and Associate University Librarian, VCU Libraries, Virginia Commonwealth University–Richmond, 2000–2008
- Associate Director, Information Resources Management, Health Sciences Libraries, University of Washington–Seattle, 1995–2000
- Acting Head, Access Services, Health Sciences Libraries, University of Washington–Seattle, 1993–1995
- Outreach Information Services Librarian, Health Sciences Libraries, University of Washington–Seattle, 1993–1995
- Coordinator, Resources Management, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1990–1993
- Library and Audiovisual Services Manager, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 1988‑1990
- Psychiatry/Neurosciences Library Supervisor, Welch Medical Library, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1984–1988
- Access Librarian, Welch Medical Library, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1982–1984
- Senior Reference Librarian, Welch Medical Library, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1981–1982
- Entry Level Reference Librarian, Welch Medical Library, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 1980–1981
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Proceedings of the 109th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):e8–e9. DOI: 10.3163/1559-9439.98.1.E1.
- Robinson JG. Jean Pugh Shipman AHIP, Medical Library Association president 2006–2007. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Jul;94(3):249–52. PMID: 16888656.
- Lynch FH, Rieke JL. Proceedings, 107th annual meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Philadelphia, PA, May 18–23, 2007. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 Jan;96(1):e1–35. DOI: 10.3163/1559-9439.96.1.E1.
- Lynch FH, Rieke JL. Proceedings of the 106th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Jan;95(1):e10–e47.