Honors and Awards
- Honorary Membership (Fellow), 1961
- Veterans Hospital in Madison, WI, named the William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Administration Hospital, 1975
- University of Wisconsin medical library named the William S. Middleton Health Sciences Library, 1965–2004
- Honorary doctorate degrees from 6 universities
- Royal Society of Medicine: Honorary Fellow
- US Army: Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit
- France’s Croix de Guerre with Palm
- Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
Other Accomplishments & Activities (selected)
- Considered one of the greatest clinical medicine teachers
- Instrumental in formulating a national curriculum for residency training in internal medicine and a structured system of examination to achieve board certification
- Major role in founding the National Library of Medicine
- American College of Physicians: president, 1950
- American Clinical and Climatological Association: elected member, 1947
- American Board of Internal Medicine: founder, 1939; Board: member, 1939; secretary-treasurer, 1939
- American Association for the History of Medicine: charter member; president, 1934
Publications (5 representative)
Over 300 contributions to the peer-reviewed medical literature, over 40 on history of medicine. Five of the most cited:
- Middleton WS. Diffuse systemic sclerosis. Alfred Stengel Memorial Lecture. Ann Intern Med. 1962 Apr;57(2 part 1):183–97.
- Middleton WS, Burke M. Streptococcus viridans endocarditis lenta: a clinic-pathologic analysis of the experience in the Wisconsin General Hospital. Am J Med Sci. 1939; 198(3):301–23.
- Middleton WS, McCarter JC. The diagnosis of periarteritis nodosa. Am J Med Sci. 1935;190:291–308.
- Middleton WS, Oatway WH. Insulin shock and the myocardium. Am J Med Sci. 1931;181:39–52.
- Eyster JAC, Middleton WS. Clinical studies on venous pressure. Arch Intern Med. 1924;34(4):228–42.
- Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Wisconsin
- Distinguished Physician, Veterans Administration
- Chief Medical Director, Department of Medicine & Surgery, US Veterans Administration, 1955–1963
- Dean, Medical School, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1935–1955
- Professor of Medicine, Medical School, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1933–1935
- Clinical Instructor in Medicine, Medical School, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1912
- Chief Consultant in Medicine, US Armed Forces, European Theater of Operations, 1942–1945
- US Expeditionary Forces, France, 1917–1919
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Dr. Middleton presents 1604 copy of the Fabrica by Versalius [to the William S. Middleton Library of the University of Wisconsin Medical School] [personal notes]. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1962 Jul;50(3):621.
- Proceedings, Sixtieth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Seattle, Washington, May 7–12, 1961. Presentation of Medical Library Association Honorary Membership. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1961 Oct;49(4):574.
- Internship, Philadelphia General Hospital, 1912
- MD, University of Pennsylvania, 1911
Submitted by Diane McKenzie, FMLA