MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ethics Task Force, Chair, 1993–1994
- President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, 1990–1993
- Board of Directors, Member, 1985–1988
- National Library of Medicine/Medical Library Association Liaison Committee, Member, 1986–1987
- National Program Committee, Member 1979; Chair, 1983
- Publications Panel, Member, 1980–1982; Consultant, 1985–1988
- Status and Economic Interests Committee, Member, 1977–1982; Chair, 1979–1980
- Committee on Scholarships, Member, 1973–1978
- South Central Chapter, President, 1979–1980
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- White House Conference on Libraries and Information Services, Statistics Committee, Member, 1989–1992
- Houston Area Research Library Consortium, Board of Directors, Member, 1978–1993; Treasurer, 1989–1991; President, 1984–1986
- American Library Association, Resources and Technical Services Division, Task Force on Economics off Access to Library Materials, Member, 1988–1991
- South Central Academic Medical Library Consortium, Steering Committee, Member, 1982–1983
- National Library of Medicine, Regional Medical Library Program, Region V Advisory Council, Chair, 1980
- Texas Library Association, College and University Library Division, Legislation and Education Committee, Member, 1978–1979
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Founding Member; Board of Directors, Member, 1982–1987; President, 1982–1983; Bylaws Committee, Chair, 1977–1978
Honors and Awards
- Most Notables, 1998
- Fellow, 1994
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Lyders R, editor and founder: Annual statistics of medical school libraries in U.S. and Canada. Houston, TX: Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library; 1978–1993.
- Leatherbury MC, Lyders RA. Trends in medical school library statistics in the 1980s. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Jan;80(1):9–18. [cited 12 Apr 2012].
- Fingerman J, Lyders R. Aplied statistics for libraries, a primer in statistical techniques and library applications. Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors; 1986.
- Lyders R. Results-oriented management though MBO. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1979 Jul;67(3):287–96. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Lyders R. Friends of library groups in health sciences libraries. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1978 Jul;66(3):315–8. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Director, South Central Network of Libraries of Medicine, Region 5, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1991–1993
- Executive Director, Library, Houston Academy of Medicine–Texas Medical Center, 1976–1993
- Adjunct Professor of Library Administration, Baylor College of Medicine, 1976–1993
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Library Science, The University of Texas Health Science Center, 1976–1993
- Associate Director, Library, Houston Academy of Medicine. Texas Medical Center, 1972–1976
- Assistant Director for Technical Processes, Chester Fritz Library, University of North Dakota–Grand Forks, 1970–1972
- Assistant Professor of Library Science, University of North Dakota–Grand Forks, 1970–1972
- Director, Associated Colleges of the Midwest Periodical Bank, Chicago, IL, 1968–1970
- Serials Librarian, Biomedical Library, University of Minnesota–Minneapolis, 1966–1968
- Reference Librarian, Long Beach Public Library, Long Beach, CA, 1964–1966
- Captain, US Air Force, 1955–1964
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Squires SJ, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, Ninety-Fourth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. San Antonio, Texas May 13–19, 1994. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1995 Jan;83(1):118–46. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Hitt SW. Richard A. Lyders Medical Library Association President 1991–1992. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1991 Jul;79(3):340–2. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Shedlock J, Byrd GD. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: a thematic history. J Med Lib Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):178–85. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Hafner AW. Applied statistics for libraries: a primer in statistical techniques and library applications [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1987 Apr;75(2):180. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Peay WJ. Strategies and measures for our next century. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1999 Jan;87(1):1–8. (p.5) [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Guard JR, Peay WJ. Tracing technology in the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. J Med Lib Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):173–7. [cited 10 Apr 2012].
- Middle Management Institute Fellowship, University of Southern California–Los Angeles, 1971
- MSLS, University of Southern California–Los Angeles, 1966
- BA, University of Minnesota, 1963
Contributed by Richard Lyders