MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Library Research Section, Chair, 1987–1988
- AAHSLD/MLA Joint Task Force to Develop Guidelines for Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Chair, 1983–1987
- Nominating Committee, Elected Member, 1985–1986
- Research Committee, Chair, 1980–1982
- MLA President, 1978–1979
- Board of Directors, Member, 1974–1977
- Joint Committee on Hospital Libraries, Council of National Library Associations, Representative, 1959–1962
- Chapter Council, Member, 1981–1983
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Chair, 1970–1971
- Midwest Regional Group, Executive Board, Member, 1959–1962; Secretary, 1961–1962
Honors and Awards
- Most Notable, 1998
- Fellow, 1997
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1994
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1987
- President’s Award, 1987
- Academy of Health Information Professionals
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- South Central Academic Medical Libraries Consortium, Chair, 1986–1988
- TALON, Executive Committee, Chair
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Board of Directors, Member, 1984–1987
- Library of Congress Network Advisory Committee, Member, 1979–1987
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Love E. The science of medical librarianship: investing in the future. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1987 Oct;75(4):302–9.
- Love E, ed. Challenge to action: planning and evaluation guidelines for academic health sciences libraries. Chicago, IL: Joint Task Force of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors and the Medical Library Association; 1987.
- Love E. Research: the third dimension of librarianship. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Jan;68(1):1–5.
- Love E, Butzin D, Robinson III RE, Lee S. Reclassification and documentation in a medium-sized medical center library: the MTST system in the simultaneous production of catalog cards and a computer stored record. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1971 Jan;59(1):41–9.
- Love E. Postage – boon or bane. an evaluation of one library’s MLA Exchange transactions. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Jan;57(1):64–5.
- Director, University of New Mexico Medical Center–Albuquerque, 1977–1996
- Director, Mid-Atlantic Regional Medical Library, 1971–1977
- Deputy Associate Director, Library Operations, National Library of Medicine, 1971–1977
- Director, Medical Libraries, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, 1967–1971
- Librarian, Larue D. Carter Memorial Hospital, Indianapolis, IN, 1953–1967
- Assistant Law Librarian, School of Law, Indiana University–Indianapolis, 1950–1953
- Junior Librarian, Indianapolis Public Library, Indianapolis, IN,1948–1950
- Library Assistant, Amerika Haus, Darmstadt, Germany, 1947–1948
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of Awards. Proceedings of the 97th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1998 Jan;86(1):130–1.
- Braude RM The research section of the MLA: the first fifteen years 1982–1997. Hypothesis. 1998;12(2):9–16.
- Poland UH. Erika Love, President, Medical Library Association 1978/1979. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1978 Jul;66(3):357–9.
- Porter S. Transcript and Summary of oral interview with Erika Love: 1986 and 1987. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries). [cited 23 Jan 2012].)
- MA, Library School, Indiana University, 1953
- BA, Indiana University, 1950
- Universitat Heidelberg
Compiled by Diane McKenzie, 2011