Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1984
- MLA Most Notable, 1998
- Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Kilgour Award, OCLC and the Library and Information Technology Association, named for Fred Kilgour, presented annually
- American Library Association, Honorary Life Membership, 1982
- American Society for Information Technology, Award of Merit, 1979
- Honorary degrees from five universities
- US Naval Reserve, Legion of Merit, 1945
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- OCLC, Developer and President
- Information Technology and Libraries, Founder and First Editor
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Kilgour FG. The evolution of the book. Oxford University Press; 1998.
- Kilgour FG. Effectiveness of surname-title-words searches by scholars. J Am Soc Inf Sci. 1995 Mar;46(2):146–51.
- Kilgour FG, Long PL, Landgraf AL, Wyckoff JA. Shared cataloging system of Ohio-College Library-Center. J Lib Autom. 1972;5(3):157–83.
- Stangl P, Kilgour FG. Analysis of recorded biomedical book and journal use in the Yale Medical Library. I. date and subject relations and II. Subject and user relations. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1967 Jul;55(3):290–315.
- Kilgour FG. Mechanization of cataloging procedures Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1965 Apr;53(2):52–62.
- Research Professor Emeritus, School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1990–2004
- Board of Directors, OCLC, 1981–1995
- Founding President and Executive Director, OCLC, 1967–1980
- Librarian, Medical Library, Yale University, 1948–1966
- Lecturer in the History of Science and Technology, Yale University, 1948–1966
- Deputy Director, Office of Intelligence Collection and Dissemination, US Department of State, 1946–1948
- Executive Secretary and Acting Chairman, Interdepartmental Committee for the Acquisition of Foreign Publications, US Naval Reserve, 1942–1945
- Assistant Librarian, Library, Harvard College 1936–1942
MLA published statements about the fellow
- McKenzie D, Pifalo V. The Oral History Program: II. personal views of health sciences librarianship and the Medical Library Association. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1998 Jul;86(3):366–76; p. 371–2.
- Grix LA, ed. Honors and awards. Proceedings, eighty-fourth annual meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Denver, Colorado, May 25–31, 1984. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1985 Jan;73(1):94–119.
- Hodges TM. Collected papers of Frederick G. Kilgour [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1985 Jan;73(1):76–7.
- Watterson RM. Transcript of oral interview with Frederick G. Kilgour: 11 May 1985. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available. [cited 23 Jan 2012].)
- Ruxin OK. OCLC: a decade of development, 1967–1977 [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1985 Jan;73(1):75–6.
- MLS, library science, School of Library Sciences, Columbia University
- BS, chemistry, Harvard University, 1935
Contributed by Diane McKenzie