See also Thoms D. Higdon's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Nominating Committee, member, 1980–1981
- MLA Annual Meeting Committee, Program and Convention Committee, member, 1978–1980; chair, 1980–1981
- MLA/National Library of Medicine Task Force on the Impact of MEDLARS II on Cataloging and Classification in Medical Libraries, member, 1974–1975
- Committee on Bibliographic Projects and Problems, member, 1969–1972
- Membership Committee, member, 1964–1965
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona, Arizona Chapter, cochair, 1976
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1991
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Cataloged the collection for the new Texas Tech University School of Medicine Library–Lubbock, TX
- Merged several library collections into one reclassified collection using the National Library of Medicine Classification for the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
- One of first four faculty members hired at the University of Arizona, College of Medicine
- Developed the collection for the new Arizona Medical Center Library at the University of Arizona
- As field librarian, visited every medical library in Arizona to share with them information on the services and collections of the Arizona Medical Center Library
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Audit Committee, cochair, 1979–1980, chair, 1980–1981; Nominating Committee, member, 1978
- Editor, Arizona Medical Center Library Bulletin, 1968–1971
- Arizona State Library Association, Special Libraries Division, president, 1980–1981
Publications (5 representative)
- Higdon TD. Some effects of MEDLARS II on cataloging in academic medical libraries. Paper presented at: MLA/NLM Liaison Committee Special Session Medical Library Association Annual Meeting; Cleveland, OH; June 2, 1975.
- Higdon TD, ed. The Hugh H. Smith, M.D., Collection in the College of Medicine Library of the University of Arizona. Tucson, AZ; 1970.
- Higdon TD, ed. Checklist of 20th century books in the Arizona Medical Center Library. 1st ed. 1969; 1st supplement, 1970.
- Higdon TD, Bishop D. Advances in medical bibliographic control, 1954–1958, part I. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1959 Jul;47(3):274–87 [Cited 25 Sep 2013].
- Higdon TD, Bishop D. Advances in medical bibliographic control, 1954–1958, part II. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1959 Oct;47(4):393–415 [Cited 25 Sep 2013].
- Health Sciences Center Library Librarian, University of Arizona–Tucson, 1977–1990
- Acting Librarian, University of Arizona–Tucson, 1976–1977
- Head, Processing Services/Assistant Librarian, University of Arizona–Tucson, 1975–1976
- Head, Cataloging Services, Medical Center Library, Houston Academy of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1972–1975
- Associate Librarian for Technical Services, School of Medicine Library, Texas Tech University–Lubbock, 1971–1972
- Field Librarian, Medical Center Library, University of Arizona–Tucson, 1970–1971
- Head Catalog Librarian, Medical Center Library, University of Arizona–Tucson, 1965–1969
- Assistant Head, Catalog Division, Biomedical Library, University of California–Los Angeles, 1961–1964
- Reference Librarian, Biomedical Library, University of California–Los Angeles, 1960–1961
- Head of Cataloging and Head of Technical Services, Los Angeles County Medical Association Library, Los Angeles, CA, 1958–1960.
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Personal notes. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1972 Oct;60(4):608–11 [Cited 25 Sep 2013].
- Graham EC. Short communications to the editor. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1960 Jan;48(1):103 [Cited 25 Sep 2013]
- MSLS, Columbia University School of Library Service (with training in medical bibliography at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, NY), 1958
- BA, University of Oklahoma, 1957