Accomplishments and Activities
- Current Contents, Columnist, 1962–1993
- The Scientists, Commentaries, Columnist, 1986–
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1993
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia, PA, Elected Member, 2007
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Elected Fellow, 2005
- PhD (Honorary) Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 2004
- MD, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, 1995
- MD, Universita Di Roma Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy, 1994
- Doctorate of Letters, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, 1991
- Doctorate of Humane Letters, State University of New York–Albany, 1990
- PhD, Vrije University, Brussels, Belgium, 1988
- John Price Wetherill Medal, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, PA, 1984
- American Chemical Society, Patterson-Crane Award, 1983
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, Award of Merit, 1975
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow
Publications (5 representative) www.eugenegarfield.org
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Garfield E, Pudovkin AI, Paris S. A bibliometric and historiographic analysis of the work of Tony van Raan: a tribute to a scientometrics pioneer and gatekeeper. Res Eval. 2010 Sep;19(3):161–72.
- Garfield E. Essays of an information scientist [15 volumes]. ISI Press; 1962–1993.
- Garfield E, ed. Transliterated dictionary of the Russian lLanguage. ISI Press; 1979.
- Garfield E. Citation analysis as a tool in journal evaluation. Science. 1972 Nov 3;178(4060):471–9. [cited 1367 times].
- Garfield E. Citation indexing for studying science. Nature. 1970 Aug 15;227(5259):669–71. [cited 587 times].
- Garfield E. The role of the medical librarian in SDI systems. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Oct;57(4):348–51. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Chair Emeritus, ThomsonReuters (IP and Science) , 1993–
- Publisher and Owner, The Scientist, 1986–
- Chairman Emeritus, Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, PA, 1994–
- Chairman and Founder, Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia, PA, 1960–1993.
- Adjunct Professor, Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1974–
- President, Eugene Garfield Associates, Philadelphia, PA, 1954–1960
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Byrd GD, ed. Awards. Proceedings, Ninety-third Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Chicago, Illinois, May 14–20, 1993. Bull Med Lib Assoc.1994 Jan;82(1):102–31. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Bolef D. Essays of an information scientist [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1979 Oct;67(4):435. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- Larkey SV. The Welch Medical Library indexing project. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1953 Jan;41(1):32–40. [cited 13 Mar 2012].
- BS, chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1949
- MS, library science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1954
- PhD, linguistics, University of Pennsylvania, 1961
Contributed by Eugene Garfield; 2012