MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, 2006–2009
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1996–1997, 2003–2004; Chair, 2009–2010
- Board of Directors, Member, 2000–2003, Treasurer, 2001–2003
- Scholarly Publishing Task Force, Member, 2003–2004
- Documentation Abstracts, MLA Representative, 1994–1996; Chair, 1997
- Ad Hoc Centennial Coordinating Committee, Member, 1996–1999
- Task Force on Fixed Meeting Schedule, Member, 2001–2002
- Task Force on MLA Research Plan, Member, 1992–1994
- Annual Meeting National Program Committee, Member, 1990; Chair, 1999
- Publishing and Information Industries Relations Committee, Member, 1982–1986; Chair, 1984–1985
- Research, Development, and Demonstration Project Grant Jury, Chair, 1989–1990
- Section Council, Member, 1983–1988
- Collection Development Section, Chair, 2004–2005
- Research Section, Chair, 1992–1993
- Midcontinental Chapter/MLA
- New York–New Jersey Chapter/MLA
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lectureship, 2012 ["Our Words, Our Story: A Textual Analysis of Articles"]
- Fellow, 2010
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1988
- MLA Research and Demonstration Project Award, to investigate the usefulness of monographic proceedings 1986–1987; published as: Funk ME, Reid CA.The usefulness of monographic proceedings. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1988 Jan;76(1):14–21. [cited 10 Sep, 2012].
- Who’s Who in America, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Who’s Who in the East, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2011–2012
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 2011–2012
- Who’s Who in the World, 2011
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Enthusiastic advocate and practitioner of electronic innovation for communication and professional participation
- MLA Scholarly Publishing Symposium, Moderator, 2007
- Open Access: A Primer [web resource], Creator, 2006
- (Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), Library Advisory Board, Member, 2012–
- Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries, Editorial Board, Member, 2004–
- National Institutes of Health (NIH), Literature Selection Technical Review Committee, Member, 1999–2003
- Doody’s Health Science Book Reviews, Library Board of Advisors, Member, 1993–
- JAMA Journal Reviews, Advisory Committee, Member, 1990–1996
- Thieme, Library Advisory Group, Member, 2005–
- McGraw-Hill Digital,Advisory Board, Member, 2005–
- BMJ Group, North American Advisory Board, Member, 2007–2009
- Wiley-Blackwell, Library Advisory Board, Member, 2007–2009
- PLoS One, Advisory Board, Member, 2006–
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Funk ME, Schader B. Simultaneous users vs. FTE pricing model–stairway to heaven or jail house blues? Against the Grain. 2003 Sep;15(4):54, 56, 58.
- Funk ME. Monograph acquisitions. In: Morse DH, ed. Acquisitions in health sciences libraries. (Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship, vol. 5.) Lanham, MD: Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 1996. p. 51–103.
- Funk ME, Reid CA. Indexing consistency in MEDLINE. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1983 Apr;71(2):176–83. [cited 10 Sep 2012].
- Boyce BR, Funk ME: Bradford’s Law and the selection of high quality papers. Lib Res Tech Serv. 1978 Fall;22(4):390–401.
- Funk ME. An SDILINE profile oriented to patient care. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1978 Apr;66(2):223–7. [cited 10 Sep 2012].
- Associate Director, Resources Management, Samuel J. Wood Library, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, 2010–
- Head, Collection Development Department, Samuel J. Wood Library, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, 1987–2010
- Head, Collection Development Department, McGoogan Library of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 1980–1987 (Tenured)
- Clinical Medical Librarian, Health Sciences Library, School of Medicine, University of Missouri–Kansas City, 1977–1980
- Circulation/Reference Librarian, Medical Library, University of Missouri–Columbia , 1976–1977
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings, 110th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Washington, DC, May 21–26, 2010. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jan;99(1):E1–E45. [cited 10 Sep 2012]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.99.1.E1.
- Braude RM. Mark E. Funk, AHIP, Medical Library Association, President 2007–2008. J Med Lib Assoc. 2007 Jul;95(3):235–7. [cited 10 Sep 2012]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.95.3.235.
- MA, Librarianship, University of Missouri–Columbia, 1976 (Beta Phi Mu)
- BS, Education, University of Missouri–Columbia, 1973
- BA, Zoology, University of Missouri–Columbia, 1971
Contributed by Mark E. Funk