MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Diversity Task Force, chair, 2017–present
- 2018 National Program Committee, Local Assistance Committee, chair, 2015–2018
- Board of Directors, member, 2013–2016; secretary, 2014–2016
- Search Committee to Appoint an Executive Director, member, 2014
- 2015 National Program Committee, member, 2012–2015
- Nominating Committee, member, 2008–2009
- Leadership and Management Section: treasurer, 2007–2009 and 2009–2011
- Credentialing Committee, chair, 2004–2005
- Southern Chapter (SC): SC/Mid-Atlantic Chapter (MAC) Joint Conference, cochair; 2006, Local Arrangements Committee, cochair, 2006; Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 2006–2007; Nominating Committee, chair, 2005–2006; chair, 2004–2005; chair-elect/program chair, 2003–2004; secretary/treasurer, 1994–1995; Program Committee/Registration, chair, 1989–1990
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2017
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1977–present
- Southern Chapter, Honorary Membership, 2017
- Emory University, Woodruff Health Sciences Center (WHSC) Woodruff Leadership Academy, Fellow, 2011
- Medical Informatics Course Fellow, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, sponsored by Marine Biological Laboratory/National Library of Medicine, 2010
Other Accomplishments & Activities (selected)
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL): Future Leadership Committee, past-chair, 2016–2017, chair, 2015–2016, chair-designate, 2014–2015; Board, member, 2009–2012; Joint MLA/AAHSL Legislative Task Force, member, 2006–2009
- WHSC Library Document Delivery Services Subcontract for the Military Equal Opportunity (MEO) Information Center of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Roybal Campus/Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, lead, 2005–2013
- Consortium of Southern Biomedical Libraries (CONBLS): chair, 2009–2010
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region: Print Retention Task Force, chair, 2009–2010
- Georgia Health Sciences Library Association: president, 1994–1995
Publications (5 representative)
- Allison A, Franklin S, Macklin L. Dare to change: moving from Internet protocol (IP) authentication. Poster presented at: MLA ’17, the Medical Library Association 117th Annual Meeting; Seattle, WA; May 30, 2017.
- Liu G, Franklin S, Powell K, White M. Using videos in WHSC Library eLearning projects. Paper presented at: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology; Tampere, Finland; June 23–7, 2014.
- Liu G, Franklin S, Powell K. Content, form and technicalities: an eLearning endeavor at WHSC Library. Paper presented at: AACE E-Learn World Conference; Las Vegas, NV; October 21–25, 2013.
- Franklin S, Douglas-Williams T. Essential connections: integrating informatics to enhance collaboration. Paper presented at: Georgia Health Sciences Library Association Meeting; Atlanta, GA; March 2012.
- Abu-Zeid BA, Allison AE, Franklin S, Getselman A. Assessment journey: warning signs, change indicators, new opportunities. Presented at: MLA ’11, the Medical Library Association Annual Meeting; Minneapolis, MN; May 16, 2011.
- Director, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and A.W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2002–present
- Acting Director, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and A.W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2000–2002
- Associate Director, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and A.W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA,1991–2000
- Assistant/Associate Director for Services to the Public, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and A.W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA,1984–1991
- Reference Librarian/Coordinator of Library Instruction, Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and A.W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA,1983–1985
- Assistant Librarian/Assistant Professor, H. Custer Naylor Library, School of Pharmacy, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA, 1979–1983
- Librarian/Cataloger, Lyman B. Brooks Library, Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA, 1977–1979
- Instructor, Library/Media Program, Lyman B. Brooks Library, Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA, 1978–1979
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA Fellowship, Sandra Franklin, MLA News 2017 June 30 [cited 2 Oct 2017].
- MLS, library science, University of Maryland–College Park, 1977
- BS, history education, cum laude, Hampton Institute, Hampton, VA, 1976