MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Nominating Committee, Member, 1998
- Board of Directors, ex officio Member as Section Council Chair, 1994–1996
- Section Council, Chair, 1994–1996
- International Cooperation Section, first Chair, 1991, Representative to Section Council 1991–1993
- International Cooperation Section (provisional year), Chair/Representative to Section Council 1990
- International Cooperation Committee/International Cooperation Section Transition Task Force, Cochair, 1989–1990
- International Cooperation Committee, Chair, 1989
- MLA News, International News Column, Editor, 1989–1993
- Joint Task Force of Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors/MLA: Challenge to Action, Panel of Expert Reviewers, Member, 1984–1987
- Health Sciences Library Technicians Committee, Chair, 1982
- Southern Regional Group
- Strategic Planning Committee, Chair, 2004
- Nominating Committee, Chair, 2003
- Chapter Chair, 2002
- Chair elect/Program Committee, Chair, 2001
- Communications Committee, Chair, 1998–1999
- Cunningham Fellowship Task Force, Chair, 1993–1994
- Annual Conference Program Committee, Chair and Host, 1989
- Governmental Relations Committee, Chair, 1989
- Chapter Secretary/Treasurer, 1982–1983
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2006
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Emeritus Member
- Southern Chapter, Honorary Member
- Tennessee Library Association (TLA), TLA Honor Award
- TLA, Honorary Member
- National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE), Chamberlain Scholar, 1999
- American Library Association (ALA), Library Instruction Round Table Award for Top Twenty articles published in 1996 in library instruction (with Earl M, et al.)
Publications (4 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Hensley K, Earl M, Fisher JS, Turner M, Scher R. Providing library services to a remote non-traditional program for health career students: the Kellogg experience. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1997 Jan;85(1):48–51. [cited 26 Jan 2013]
- Earl, MF, Hensley, K, Fisher JS, Kelley, MJ, Merrick D. Faculty involvement in problem-based library orientation for first-year medical students. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jul;84(3):411–3. [cited 26 Jan 2013]
- Earl M, Adebonojo, LG, Fisher, JS. Creating and using a faculty interests database. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1993 Jan;81(1):66–8. [cited 26 Jan 2013]
- Cavender A, Fisher JS, assoc. eds. A folk medical lexicon of south central Appalachia. Johnson City, TN: History of Medicine Society of Appalachia; 1990.
- Library Director for Development and Outreach, James H. Quillen College of Medicine Library, East Tennessee State University–Johnson City, 1999–2005
- Assistant Dean for Learning Resources/ Director of the Medical Library, James H. Quillen College of Medicine Library, East Tennessee State University–Johnson City, 1978–1998
- Assistant Director, James H. Quillen College of Medicine Library, East Tennessee State University–Johnson City, 1975–1977
- Reference Librarian/Online Searcher, Eccles Health Sciences Library, University of Utah–Salt Lake City, 1971–1974
- Reference Librarian, Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1969–1971
- Cataloger, Medical Library, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, 1967–1969
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings of the 106th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Lib Assoc. 2007 Jan;95(1):E10–E47. [cited 26 Jan 2013].
- Letter from Carla Funk was read by Mark Hodges at retirement party, June 2005.
- Personals. MLA News. 2005 Aug;378:8. [cited 26 Jan 2013].
- Retirements. ICS Newsletter. International Cooperation Section; 2005 .
- MLS, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1966
- BA, Biology and English, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL, 1965
Contributed by Janet Fisher and Diane McKenzie