MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Lindberg Research Fellowship Jury, member, 2008–2009, 2004–2005
- Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award Jury, chair, 2003–2004
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, chair, 2001–2002
- MLA 2001, Local Assistance Committee, member, Orlando, FL, 2001
- Mentoring Task Force, member, 1999–2001
- Hospital Libraries Section (HLS), Award Jury, chair, 1997–1998; Strategic Planning Committee, member, 1990–1991; Professional Recognition Committee, member, 1991–1993, 2001–2003, chair, 1984–1985
- Medical Library Education Section, chair, 1996–1997
- Rittenhouse Award Jury, member, 1996–1997
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship Jury, chair, 1994–1995
- Research Task Force, member, 1993–1995: issued: Using Scientific Evidence to Improve Information Practice: The Research Policy Statement of the Medical Library Association, 1996. Developed by: Dalrymple PW, Bastille JD, Bradley J, Dee CR, Humphreys BL, Marshall JG, Weller AC, Webb RE
- Doctoral Fellowship Jury, member, 1991–1992
- Hospital Libraries Section, chair, 1984–1985
- Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association, Honors and Awards Committee, chair, 2002–2003; Communications Committee, chair, 1995–1996; Research Committee, chair,1994–1996; Research Committee, ex-officio member, 1996–present; research mentor, 1996–present
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2015
- Continuing Education Committee article selection, 2005, Dee C, Stanley EE. Information seeking behavior of nursing students and clinical nurses: implications for health science librarians. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Apr; 93(2):213–22
- Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association, Research Poster First Place Award: Dee CR, Teolis M, Todd A. Multi-state study of health professionals’ use of the personal digital assistant (PDA). Presented at: MLA ’03, the 103rd Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association; San Diego, CA; 12 Oct 2003
- Hospital Libraries Section/Medical Library Association, election to “Scroll of Exemplary Service” May 2002
- Hospital Libraries Section/Medical Library Association, Professional Recognition Award for Research, 1992, 1993, 2002
- Ida and George Eliot Prize for best-published paper, 2000: Dee C, Rankin J, Burns C. Using scientific evidence to improve hospital library services: Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association Journal Usage Study. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1998 Jul;86(3):301–6.
- Majors Chapter Project of the Year Award, 1998: chair of the Southern Chapter’s Research Committee that designed and executed this research project
- Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship, 1997
- Research Section, Southern Chapter/Medical Library Association Award, for best-contributed paper, “Journal Usage Study,” 1996
- Academy of Health Information Professionals Distinguished Member, 1993–present
- Thomson Reuters MLA Doctoral Fellowship, 1990
- Emerald Highly Commended Article Award, 2008: Spink A, Dee C. Cognitive shifts related to interactive information retrieval. Online Inf Rev. 2007;31(6):845–60
- Florida and Caribbean Chapter/ Special Library Association Scholarship Award, Special Library Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, 2008
- Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, spring course, 2002, fellowship, sponsored by the National Library of Medicine
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Medical Reference Services Quarterly, Editor, Hospital Information Services Column, 1995–present
- Biomedical Digital Libraries, Associate Editor, Library and Information Science Education/Clinical Librarianship/Cultural Competence, 2003–2005
- Florida Consumer Health Information Network, Statewide Steering Committee, member, July 2007–2010
- Polk County [Florida] Library Association, co-president, 2002–2005
- Florida Health Sciences Library Association, Research Committee, chair, 2004–present; Strategic Planning Committee, member, 2001–2004; president, 1982–1983; treasurer, 1979–1980
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Southeastern/Atlantic Region, Regional Advisory Council, member, 1996–2001
- Special Library Association, Florida and Caribbean Chapter, Executive Board, member, 2001–present; Local Arrangements Committee, Creativity in the Workplace: How to Be Your Creative-Best in Today’s Challenging Information Environment, workshop co-chair, November 2002
Publications (5 representative)
- Dee C. In his own words: Martin Cummings and the NLM [Internet]. National Library of Medicine; 2013 [cited .14 Apr 2016].
- Dee C, Abrams S, Hunt, D. Part 2: information professions. Chapter 9: Information centers: special libraries. In: Hirsh S, ed. Introduction to today’s information services. Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group; 2015.
- Dee C, Rankin, J. Medical and allied health sciences literatures and their users. In: Bates M, ed. Encyclopedia of library and information sciences. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis; 2009.
- Dee CR. Development of the Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval System (MEDLARS). J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Oct;95(4):416–25. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.95.4.416.
- Dee C, Stanley E. Information-seeking behavior of nursing students and clinical nurses: implications for health sciences librarians. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Apr;93(2):213–22. (Selected for the Medical Library Association’s Independent Reading Program by MLA’s Continuing Education Committee.)
- Instructor, San Jose State University, 2009–present
- Adjunct Professor, Florida State University, 2000–present
- Assistant Professor, University of South Florida, 2001–2009; Visiting Professor, 1999–2001; Adjunct Professor in Health Science Librarianship, University of South Florida School of Library and Information Science, 1993–1999
- Assistant University Librarian, Courtesy Appointment, Health Center Library, University of Florida, 1993–2000
- Library Director, Watson Clinic Medical Library, Watson Clinic, 1975–1999
- Hospital library consultant, set-up over 12 hospital libraries, 1980–2003
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2015 May;55(5):9, 24.
- Steven J. Squires, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, One Hundredth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada May 5–11, 2000. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Jan;89(1):108
- Dee C, Blazek R. Information needs of rural physicians: a descriptive study. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1993 Jul;81(3):259–64. (“Fifth most highly cited” article published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, as reported in: Homan JM, ed. Snapshot in time: citation rankings. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2000 Jan;88(1):83–4.
- Steven J. Squires, Ledbetter LS, eds. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, Ninety-seventh Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Seattle, Washington May 24–28, 1997. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1998 Jan;86(1):129.
- PhD, Florida State University, School of Library and Information Services, 1990
- MLS, George Peabody College, Vanderbilt University (Beta Phi Mu)
- BA, Michigan State University