Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP)
Join more than 1,000 colleagues who are members of the Academy of Health Information Professionals!
The Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) is the peer-reviewed, accomplishment/portfolio-based certification and career development program for health information professionals. Academy membership indicates that your peers have certified that you have met a standard of professional education, experience, and accomplishment and demonstrates that you are committed to career development. AHIP is also a membership organization in which members are entitled to career development, planning, and mentoring resources and member discounts.
Future, new and renewing AHIP members: please send us your questions about the program in general or about your application in particular. We are always happy to assist.
“As a medical librarian it's important to demonstrate a commitment to the profession through activities in a variety of areas. AHIP is a mechanism by which to do this and demonstrates to colleagues and administrators that commitment on behalf of the individual.”
“The AHIP credential is recognized in medical libraries as the most important credential after the MLS itself. AHIP certification lets others in the profession know you have the skills needed to serve at a professional level in contemporary medical libraries.”
“I find AHIP membership to be a great push/reward to continue my education and participate professionally. I work in a hospital with professionals in many other fields who have credential initials after their names, so I think having my own earned credential gives me more authority.”
“Even though it is not required by my employer, to me, AHIP membership is a tangible demonstration of my commitment to the profession and life-long learning.”
“1) AHIP is a prestigious credential when applying for jobs, 2) I support MLA and the notion of the professional credential.”
“AHIP is a way for continuing education and professional associations involvement. My boss also thinks AHIP status is important.”
Learn about the Academy
- See the Academy FAQ for answers to questions about AHIP
- Learn more about what the Academy can do for you
- Why the Academy is valuable to your employer
- Why the Academy is valuable to your colleagues
Join the Academy
- Determine your eligibility for Academy membership
- Apply to join as a Provisional Member
- Apply to join at the Member, Senior, or Distinguished Level
Renew Your Academy Membership
- Renew your annual Provisional membership
- Renew your Academy membership at your current Member, Senior, or Distinguished level
- Renew your Academy membership at a higher level
- Retiring? Become an Emeritus Academy member