See also Ruth Holst's published oral history
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair, Appointments
- President-elect, 2009–2010, president, 2010–2011, past president, 2011–2012
- Janet Doe Lectureship Jury, member, 2007–2009, chair, 2008–2009
- Expert Searching Task Force, chair, 2001–2005
- Secretary, 2002–2004
- Board of Directors, member, 2001–2004, 2009–2012
- Election Task Force, chair, 1999
- Nominating Committee, 1982, 1989, 1996, chair, 2012
- Books Panel, member 1990–1994, chair, 1993–1994
- Program & Convention Committee, 1984–1987, chair, 1986–1987
- Hospital Libraries Section, Section Council representative, 1984–1987
- Midwest Chapter, Program Committee, chair, 1989–1990
Honors and Awards
- Leadership Award, Hospital Libraries Section, 2003
- Fellow, 2002
- Hospital Libraries Section, Publication Award, 2002
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1990
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1984
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- 50 Distinguished Alumni Award, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2017
- National Library of Medicine, Special Emphasis Panels, chair, August 2001, July 2002
- 2001 Librarian of the Year, Wisconsin Health Science Library Association
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Library Review Committee, member 1996–2000
- 1991 Notable Alumnus, School of Library & Information Science, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
Publications (5 representative)
- Holst R, Funk CJ, Adams HS, Bandy M, Boss CM, Hill B, Joseph CB, Lett RK. Vital pathways for hospital librarians: present and future roles. J Med Libr Assoc 2009 Oct;97(4):285–92. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.013.
- Holst R, Funk CJ. State of the art of expert searching: results of a Medical Library Association survey. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Jan; 93(1):45–52.
- Holst R, Phillips S, eds. The Medical Library Association guide to managing health care libraries. Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman with the Medical Library Association, 2000.
- Holst R. Hospital libraries in perspective. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1991 Jan;79(1):1–9.
- Bradley J, Holst R, Messerle J, eds. Hospital library management. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 1983.
- Associate Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Greater Midwest Region, University of Illinois–Chicago, 2002–2014
- Manager of Library Services, Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee, WI, 1983–2002
- Manager, Coordinated Care, Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee, WI, 1994–1997
- Women’s Health Core Service Director, Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee, WI, 1988–1991
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 1981–1990
- Medical Librarian, Columbia Hospital, Milwaukee, WI, 1970–1982
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Scherrer CS, Weller AC. Ruth Holst, AHIP, FMLA, Medical Library Association, 2010–2011. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jul;98(3):200–2. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.98.3.003.
- Presentation of awards. In: Pauline O. Fulda PO, Satterthwaite RK, eds. Proceedings, 102d Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Dallas, Texas May 17–23, 2002. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Jan;91(1):103–36.
- MS, Library Science, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 1973
- BS, Education and Mathematics, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 1970