Contest Sponsored by Rowman & Littlefield
MLA, in partnership with Rowman & Littlefield, is cosponsoring a book proposal contest. MLA is inviting writers to submit their best book pitches for a chance to pursue a book contract and win $250.00.
Please provide detailed answers to the following prompts, along with the documents from the MLA Books Panel Best Proposal Contest Materials Checklist, for a chance to win $250.00 from Rowman & Littlefield and the opportunity to pursue a book contract. To be eligible, proposals must be submitted electronically to Martha Lara, MLA’s director of marketing and communications, by 11:59 p.m. on November 15, 2017. Submissions will be evaluated by the MLA Books Panel, and the contest winner will be contacted in December 2017.
Book Proposal Outline
- Why is this book needed? Who will want to read it or use it and why? How is it different from other books on the same topic (what’s unique about your idea)?
- Imagine that your book will appear in the next Rowman & Littlefield catalog. Begin with a title that captures the tone and spirit of your book. What would the ideal description of your book for our catalog be? Emphasize special features or sections using bullets where appropriate.
- Identify titles on the same topic published in the last five to seven years. These will be your book’s competition. Provide a sentence or two that would make MLA and Rowman & Littlefield want to publish your book even though those books are out there.
- Include a tentative table of contents that includes page number estimates for each chapter. Please also include for each chapter an estimated number of photographs, figures, tables, or other graphic elements that you think you would want to include in the chapter.
- What is your target date for completing the manuscript?
- Include a one to three paragraph biographical statement about you as well as a copy of your curriculum vitae or resume that includes information on your previous experience presenting, writing, teaching, conducting research, or other professional activities relevant to the proposed book. In the biographical statement, emphasize your education and experience that is relevant to the book topic. Please include bibliographic information about other articles or books that you have published related to this topic. The point is to position you as an expert in this area.
- Include at least one example of your published professional writing. This can be a journal article, a book chapter, or another sample publication.