Welcome to MLA's professional development program, which provides educational opportunities for practicing health sciences librarians, recent graduates, and others interested in information management. MLA-approved or sponsored courses and activities are accepted for the Academy of Health Information Professionals, the association's peer-reviewed professional development and career recognition program. It's easy to get started.
Competencies for Professional Success
MLA's Competencies for Lifelong Learning and Professional Success defines seven core competency areas needed by health sciences librarians. See recommendations for action by individuals, employers, and professional organizations.
Webinars and Online Courses
MLA offers webinars and online courses throughout the year on topics of interest that meet the demands of the health information professional. Register and participate in both live and recorded versions of these learning activities. See the most recent and upcoming webinars from MLA.
Annual Meeting Continuing Education (CE)
Join your colleagues for innovative and practical continuing education (CE) courses. CE courses are a great way to learn new roles and stay at the forefront of the health information profession.
Discussion Group Program
Select a well-defined topic for a discussion group with other professionals and earn MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours for professional development.
Independent Reading Program
AHIP Credential: The Academy of Health Information Professionals
Whether you are new to the profession or have been working in it for many years, the academy has a membership level for you. Academy membership reflects the investment of time and effort required for exemplary professional performance.
Complete an approved curriculum of courses and earn one of MLA's specializations.
- Consumer Health Information: improve your health information services for consumers and find new resources and ideas to serve the public, patients, and families. Apply today for MLA's Consumer Health Information Specialization.
- Disaster Information: expand your institutional role with MLA's Disaster Information Specialization. Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to support your institution and community in times of disaster or public health emergency. Start with 5 free online courses!
MLA can help you meet your career goals by connecting you with an experienced heath sciences information professional. Find or become a mentor with MLA.
Grants, Scholarships and Fellowships
MLA offers a variety of funding opportunities to assist qualified students in graduate library science programs and to enable practicing health sciences librarians to pursue professional development.
Find available jobs in MLA's Career Center.
Educators (Educational Clearinghouse)
- How to get your course approved for MLA CE credit
- Educational Clearinghouse
- Teach at MLA's annual meeting
Questions? Contact Debra Cavanaugh, 312.419.9094 x32.