Application Instructions for Provisional Membership
Now that you have determined that you are qualified to join the Academy as a Provisional Member, follow these steps in compiling your portfolio and submitting your application.
- Collect the following materials for your application portfolio:
- Current CV or resume
- Current job description, if employed
- Copy of your master's degree diploma or transcript
- Completed Self-Review form. Please use answers from the required, free Competencies Self-Assessment to complete the Self-Review form. You will receive 1 AHIP point for completing the self-assessment.
And, if your Master’s is not from an ALA-accredited program, add:
- Completed Competencies Self-Assessment report
- Course syllabi or other required documentation listed on the Competencies form of at least eight hours of coursework in each competency area
After your forms are completed and your documents are ready, log in to your MLANET profile, create your AHIP Provisional application invoice and checkout by paying the appropriate fee in US dollars. Provisional membership application fees are $135 for MLA members and $325 for nonmembers.
If you are an MLA member, again, make sure you are logged in to receive the $135.00 member rate. If you are not an MLA member, join MLA today to receive the reduced application fee and numerous other benefits.
To pay via check: Print the invoice you created and mail with your check made payable to the “Medical Library Association.” Indicate “AHIP membership” in the memo line. Mail the check and invoice to:
Medical Library Association
Carol Stream, IL 60122-4627
After your payment is processed, you will receive an automated confirmation which will include a link to complete the online application. The academy only accepts applications electronically. At the bottom of the application, use the "add" button to begin uploading the documents that support your application.
If you do not submit all required forms and documents, there may be a delay in processing your application.
Upon approval of your Provisional application:
- Your MLANET profile will be updated with your AHIP dates and the AHIP badge. You will also be placed on the AHIP member roster.
- You will receive an official letter and certificate in the mail. Any requested employer letters will also be mailed.
- You will receive the name and contact information of your mentor shortly after your application is approved.
- Provisional membership is for one year only and must be renewed annually, up to four times (for a total of five years) or until you have been a working health information professional for five years following your master's degree--whichever comes first. There is no fee to renew at the Provisional level. See Instructions for Provisional Membership Annual Renewal.
- After five years of professional experience, Provisional Members can apply for a higher level of membership by submitting a new portfolio, which will result in a new five-year time span for points and a new fee. Your new certificate will reflect the five-year period following the upgrade.
Email the AHIP Program Coordinator or call 312.419.9094 x11 with any questions.