Joseph Leiter NLM/MLA Lectureship
The Joseph Leiter NLM/MLA Lectureship was established in 1983 to stimulate intellectual liaison between MLA and the National Library of Medicine (NLM). Lectures are chosen for their ability to discuss subjects related to biomedical communications. The lecture is presented every other year at NLM and in alternating years at the association's annual meeting. Annual meeting plenary session videos and slides are available online to MLA members.
- 2016 (NLM): Jonna Mazet, DVM, PhD
“Emerging Infectious Diseases in the 21st Century: A Prevention Paradigm for Surveillance, Information Sharing, and Health Diplomacy.”
- 2015 (MLA): Ann McKee, MD
Cronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
- 2014 (NLM): Terry J. Sejnowski, PhD
"The BRAIN Initiative: Connecting the Dots"
- 2013 (MLA): Sheila Davis
"Global Health Innovation and Impact"
- 2012 (NLM): Frederick "Skip" M. Burkle Jr., MD
"Future Humanitarian Crises: Challenges to Practice, Policy & Public Health"
- 2011 (MLA): Peter J. Hotez
"Open Access and Control of the Neglected Tropical Diseases ('THe NTDs')"
- 2010 (NLM): John D. Halamka
"Knowledge Services and the Role of Medical Libraries in Health Care Information Technology "
- 2009 (MLA): Ben Young, MD
"The Impact of Diseases on Hawai'i's Medical History"
- 2008 (NLM): Debra Lappin
"The 21st Century Patient - A New Partnership with the Biomedical Enterprise"
- 2007 (MLA): Kent Smith, FMLA
"Laws, Leaders, and Legends of the Modern NLM"
- 2006 (NLM): Anthony S. Fauci, MD
"Pandemic Influenza and Other Emerging Infectious Diseases: Public Health Threat and the Research Agenda"
- 2005 (MLA): Joycelyn Elders, MD
"Speaking the Truth Based on Knowledge and Experience "
- 2004 (NLM): Donald A. Henderson, MD
"Plagues for the 21st Century - A Communications Challenge"
- 2003 (MLA): Roz Diane Lasker, MD
"Making Waves: The Untapped Potential of Medical Libraries to Improve the Public's Health"
- 2002 (NLM): Francis S. Collins, MD
"Genomics, Medicine, and Society"
- 2001 (MLA): Anthony J. Shuker, PhD
- 2000 (NLM): Scott Ratzan, MD
- 1999 (MLA): Daniel Callahan, PhD
"Can We Afford Technological Progress and an Aging Society?"
- 1998 (NLM): Jean-Claude Guedon, PhD
"Is 'Virtual Library' an Oxymoron?"
- 1997 (MLA): William W. Stead, MD
"Positioning the Library at the Center of the Biomedical Enterprise"
- 1996 (NLM): Larry L. Smarr, PhD
"Digital Libraries in a Scalable America: Super Computers, JAVA, and HABANERO"
- 1995 (MLA): Daniel R. Masys, MD
"The Informatics of Health Care Reform"
- 1994 (NLM): M.R.C. Greenwood, PhD
"21st Century Science"
- 1993 (MLA): Suzanne Stensaas, PhD
"Animating the Curriculum: Integrating Multimedia into Teaching"
- 1992 (NLM): Donna Cox
"Scientific Visualization and Renaissance Teams"
- 1991 (MLA): Joshua Lederberg, MD, PhD
"Scientists' Needs and Opportunities for Communication"
- 1990 (NLM): Michael E. DeBakey, MD
"The National Library of Medicine: Evolution of a Premiere Information Center"
- 1989 (MLA): Richard Selzer, MD
"The Surgeon as Writer"
- 1988 (NLM): Alvin M. Weinberg, PhD
"Science, Government, and Information, Twenty-Five Years Later"
- 1987 (MLA): William H. Raub, PhD
"Confluence of Ideas: The Emergence of Interdisciplinary Fields-Tending the Borders of Biomedicine" and
Warren J. Haas
"Information Studies: The Information Professional and Professional Leadership"
- 1986 (NLM): Ruth M. Davis, PhD
"Where Will Technology Put the Library of the Twenty-First Century?"
- 1985 (MLA): Edwin Brownrigg, PhD
"Wide Area Networks" and
Edward H. Shortliffe, MD, PhD
"Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Biomedical Information Transfer" and
Patricia M. Battin
"The Wired Scholar: How the Scholar Uses the New Technology"
- 1984: (NLM): Martin M. Cummings, MD
"The Effect of US Policies on the Economics of Libraries"
Have a question? Contact MLA's awards coordinator