Myanmar (September 23-25, 2015)
This three day workshop was conducted at the University of Medicine 1, Yangon, Myanmar. It was supported by the World Health Organization, South-East Asia Regional Office and Librarians Without Borders®/Medical Library Association (LWB). The instructor was Lenny Rhine, LWB. Local arrangements were facilitated and coordinated Ohnmar Myint and Marla Win, SEARO. Without their assistance, the successful logistics of this workshop would not have been achieved. Also of critical note is the contribution of three facilitators: Khin Maw Maw Tun, Librarian, University of Medicine – 1, Yangon (who also assisted with local arrangements), Chomar oo, Head Librarian, Department of Medical Research and Khin Win Myint, Librarian, University of Medicine, Mandalay.
The workshop was ably hosted by the University of Medicine – 1, Yangon – regarding the venue, very reliable Internet access and nice refreshments and luncheons.
Twenty-three librarians from the country’s health-related academic institutions attended the workshop. Additionally, twenty-four individuals from the University of Medicine -1, Yangon attended as ‘observers’. In reality, this group of mostly lecturers and physicians participated fully in the workshop’s activities including completing the exercises for each module. Staff from sixteen institutions attended the training. Only two institutions needed to register for HINARI and participants from another two needed to receive their institutions’ passwords.
In the three-day workshop, the objectives were to have the participants learn the critical skills of HINARI and related resources and be able to conduct training to the various target groups at their respective institutions. Institutions in Myanmar have access to all HINARI publishers except one so that there is a wealth of information currently available to the users.
The modules covered were searching skills, HINARI portal, HINARI/PubMed (website, filters, history and advanced search), , the alternate Summon search tool for HINARI, MY NCBI accounts, evidence-based medicine, e-book and Internet resources for Myanmar users, Zotero reference management software plus an overview of authorship skills material (How to read and write a scientific paper, plagiarism, Web-bibliography).
We also focused on the HINARI marketing module and, for the first time, used the Marketing checklist. This is a tool for developing a detailed marketing plan for each institution. After six months, the participants will receive a survey that ‘evaluates’ their outcomes and particularly the use of the marketing plan.
At the end of the workshop, the participants completed post-workshop surveys (attached). Almost all the participants ‘agreed’ that the workshop was well organized, had relevant material with useful ‘hands-on’ exercises, that the trainer was knowledgeable/organized, effective presenters and responsive to questions and that the workshop resulted in their obtaining useful knowledge and skills. According to the participants, major strengths of the workshop included Demos/Hands on, Information Gained and Networking.
There were a significantly broader reply to the ‘length of the workshop’ question. The responses were 60% replying ‘agree’ and the remaining 40% noting ‘somewhat agree’ and ‘somewhat disagree’. This disparity can be attributed to the significant number of participants and the differing levels of knowledge and skills.
In conclusion, this was a complex workshop because of the reasons noted in the previous sentence. Overall, a large number of individuals obtained the skills necessary to use and, regarding the librarians, conduct training about the HINARI and Internet resources that were discussed. Without the assistance of the three facilitators and two WHO Country Office staff members, this workshop would not have been as successful.