Terry Ann Jankowski, AHIP, FMLA, one of the preeminent educators on expert searching, guides novice and intermediate searchers on how to conduct any search with ease. Participants will learn how to translate search requests into strategies, identify the right steps and tools for the request and themselves, and use their results to refine their strategies. #mlaExpertSearch
Objectives: At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- translate search requests into effective search strategies using both controlled vocabulary and natural language
- select a search method appropriate to the search request and their search styles
- review a search strategy with its results to determine steps to take to improve the search
As a bonus, webinar participants will receive a 30% off coupon for Jankowski’s book published with MLA, Expert Searching in the Google Age.
Recently retired from her position as assistant director for user experience at the Health Sciences Library, University of Washington–Seattle, Jankowski continues to make significant contributions to MLA and the health information profession. Jankowski edited the column on expert searching in the MLA News for ten years and moderated the MLA Public Services Section email discussion list on expert searching. She has written two books and coauthored several articles and posters on various aspects of database searching, reference services, and user experience. She continues to revise and teach her MLA course on expert searching on a regular basis. Database searching is her passion, and she welcomes conversations about expert searching.
- Length: 1.5 hour webinar
- Date/Time: February 8, 2017, 1:00 p.m.–2:30 p.m., central time
- Technical information: You will receive a link to the recording and the participant's manual a week before the live webinar.
- Individual Member: $59 (Nonmember: $99)
- Site (for unlimited viewers at one location): $225 (Nonmember Site: $325)
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours
- Includes link to recorded webinar
- Seats are limited so register now: Sites or Individuals