MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, member, 2016, 2003, 1987
- MLA Rising Star mentor, 2013–2015
- Hospital Libraries Section/MLA Professional Development Grant Jury, member, 1999–2000, 2006–2007, 2015–2017; chair, 2016–2017
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, member, 2012–2013
- Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award Jury, member, 2010–2011
- Janet Doe Lectureship Jury, member, 2008–2009
- T. Mark Hodges International Service Award Jury, member, 2007–2008
- 2005 National Program Committee, section programming coordinator
- David A. Kronick Traveling Fellowship Jury, member, 2002–2004
- Thomson Reuters/Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award Jury, member, 2000–2001
- EBSCO/MLA Annual Meeting Grants Jury, member, 1998–1999
- 1997 National Program Committee, manager of posters, 1996–1997
- Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year Jury, member, 1995–1996
- Continuing Education Committee, Subcommittee on Quality Review, chair, 1996–1997
- Hospital Libraries Section: chair-elect/program chair, past chair, 2012–2014; Section Council representative, 2014; VALUES2 Initiative Task Force, coordinator, 2013–; Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 1988–1989, 2010–present
- Leadership and Management Section: strategic planning coordinator, 2001–2014; Section Council representative, 2003-2006; program chair, 2002–2003
- Medical Library Education Section: nominee to the MLA Nominating Committee, 2014
- New York–New Jersey (NY-NJ) Chapter/MLA: Executive Board, member, 2009–2011; Annual Meeting Program Committee, member, 2009–2010, 1998–1999; nominee to MLA Nominating Committee, 2004; chair, 1998–1999; Strategic Planning Committee, member, 1998–1999; Community Relations Committee, chair, 1997–1998
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter/MLA: Continuing Education Committee, chair, 1988–1999
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2016
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 2015: Perrier L, Farrell A, Ayala AP, Lightfoot D, Kenny T, Aaronson EM, Allee NJ, Brigham T, Connor E, Constantinescu T, Mullenbach JM, Brown Epstein HA, Weiss A. Effects of librarian-provided services in healthcare settings: a systematic review. J Med Inform Assoc. 2014 Nov–Dec; 21(6):1118–24.
- Hospital Libraries Section, Research Award, 2002, 2015
- New York-New Jersey Chapter/MLA, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2014
- Research Section, Research Award, 2nd Place Poster, 2014: Richardson JE, Bouquin, DR, Epstein Brown HA, Delgado D, Tmanova IL, Wright D, Merlo, L. Surveying information and informatics literacy of first year medical students (Poster #183). Presented at: MLA ’14, Chicago, IL; May 16–21, 2014
- Hospital Libraries Section, Scroll of Exemplary Service, 2008
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- MLA annual meeting blogger, 2009–2015
- Continuing education instructor: Comparative Effectiveness Research, MLA ’15, Austin, TX, May 2015; No Fear Molecular Biology: Concepts and Searching, MLA ’09, Honolulu, HI, May 2009; Critical Appraisal, MLA ’09, San Antonio, TX, May 2005
- Journal of Hospital Librarianship, associate editor, 2013–present
- InfoSkills, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, New York, NY, teaching ensemble member and coordinator, 2005–2013
- Pratt Institute School of Information, New York, NY, visiting assistant professor, 2000–2010
Publications (5 representative)
- Mir D, Gupta A, Dunning A, Puchi L, Robinson CL, Epstein HAB, Sanelli PC. CT perfusion for detection of delayed cerebral ischemia in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2014 Dec;35(5):866–71.
- Joseph CB, Epstein HAB. Proving your worth/adding to your value. J Hosp Libr. 2014 Jan–Mar;14(1):69–79.
- Finkel ML, Brown HA, Gerber LM, Supino PG.Teaching evidence-based medicine to medical students. Med Teach. 2013 Mar;25(2):202–4.
- Brown HA. Clinical medical librarian to clinical informationist. Ref Serv Rev. 2004;32(1):45–9.
- Sienkiewicz D, Buckwalter M, Brown HA. Sam Starr mystery: building a computerized tour for the library. In: Wood MS, ed. User education in health sciences libraries: a reader. New York, NY: Haworth Press; 1995.
- Informationist, Health Sciences Library, Virtua Health System, Center for Learning, Mt Laurel, NJ, 2015–present
- Physical Therapy Reference Librarian, Mercer Community College, West Windsor, NJ, 2015–2016
- Implementation Specialist, Project ECS@ESC, New York City Department of Education Environmental Study, Brooklyn, NY, 2015–2016
- Reference/Instruction Librarian, Sidney Silverman Library, Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ, 2014–2015
- Librarian, Weill Cornell Medical Library, New York, NY, 1991–2014
- Primary Trainer and Marketing Representative, BRS Information Technologies, 1988–1991
- Online Coordinator, MidContinental Regional Medical Library Program, McGoogan Library of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical College–Omaha, 1984–1988
- Director, Gerald Tucker Memorial Medical Library, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, CO, 1979–1984
- Clinical Librarian, Tompkins-McCaw Library, Medical College of Virginia–Richmond, 1977–1979
- Librarian/Clinical Librarian, Medical Library, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1973–1976
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2016 May;56(5):15. [cited 19 Jul 2016].
- Mitchell N, ed. Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 115th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Austin, TX. J Med Libr Assoc. 2016 Jan;104(1)E1–E33. [cited 19 Jul 2016]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.104.1.E1.
- Certificate, biomedical informatics, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 2011
- MS, dynamics of organization, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- MLS, library science, University of Maryland, 1973
- BS, physical education, Ithaca College, 1970