Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award
The Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award was established in 2008 through a contribution from Kent Smith, FMLA, to recognize a medical librarian who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in the area of governmental relations at the federal, state, or local level, and who has furthered the goal of providing quality information for improved health. The award is named in honor of Carla J. Funk, Executive Director (1992-2015) of the Medical Library Association, who worked diligently and passionately to provide visibility for the association and profession, and to further the association’s governmental relations agenda.
- Nominees must be current members of MLA and a MLA member at the time the governmental relations activities occurred. Membership dates may be confidentially confirmed by MLA Member Services.
- The nomination must be made for contributions to the governmental relations program including:
- developing information policies affecting existing or pending legislation that are submitted or presented to local, state, or federal governmental bodies;
- organizing effective campaigns to increase awareness of the views of the medical library community and association on legislative and information policies;
- testifying before governmental bodies and/or meeting with policymakers to articulate important concerns facing the health information community that affect the provision of quality health information to healthcare providers and the public; and
- developing new approaches to strengthen the association’s governmental relations network and its voice in the governmental decision-making process.
- Online nomination form, including all supporting documentation, must be completed no later than November 1.
- Nominations are accepted from the membership-at-large; self nominations are encouraged and accepted.
- Nominations should include documents or web links verifying the criteria noted above, plus any other pertinent information regarding suitability of the nominee for the award.
- Up to three letters of support may be included with the nomination.
The award recipient is notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient receives a certificate at the annual meeting and a cash award of $500 after the annual meeting. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to present the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- Choose the 2019 Funk Award online nomination form.
- Complete online form and upload all documents no later then November 1, 11:59 p.m. (CT).
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
Past Award Recipients
- 2018: Julie A. Schneider
- 2017: Betsy L. Humphreys, FMLA
- 2016: none awarded
- 2015: Karen M. Albert
- 2014: Donna Timm, AHIP
- 2013: Hope Barton
- 2012: Lynne K. Siemers
- 2011: J. Michael Homan
- 2010: Logan Ludwig
- 2009: Marianne Comegys
Have a question? Contact MLA's awards coordinator.