Incoming officers and leaders (allied representatives, appointed officials, chapter presidents, committee chairs, section chairs, and task force chairs) should familiarize themselves with MLA's structure, organization, and program areas.
- Virtual Orientation - April 10, 2019, 1:00 PM (central)
- Hosted by Julia Esparza, President-Elect and Kevin Baliozian, Executive Director
- Meeting details will be added here in March 2019.
- Virtual Orientation - April 2018
- Hosted by Beverly Murphy, AHIP, FMLA, President-Elect and Kevin Baliozian, Executive Director
- See file area for recorded presentation.
General Information on MLA
- Vision, Values, and Mission
- Code of Ethics
- Awards and Honors
- Grants, Scholarships, and Fellowships
- International Programs
- Allied Organizations
- MLA Glossary
- Governance Documents: Bylaws and Procedures
- New Leaders Orientation
- Strategy and Finance
- Previous Annual Reports (MLA, Sections, Chapters, SIGS, Committees, Allied Reps)
- Reports are submitted twice a year by MLA leaders including: allied representatives, appointed officials, chapter presidents, committee chairs, section chairs, and task force chairs. SIG conveners and jury chairs are not required to submit activity reports to MLA Headquarters.
- Annual reports are due by April 5:
- LINK to submission form,
- Full report (see content below),
- Submitted to the Board of Directors,
- Posted on MLANET after the annual meeting,
- Part of the association's permanent records archived at the National Library of Medicine.
- Midyear reports are due by October 15:
- Executive summary only, with the option of providing a motion or additional report,
- Submitted to the Board of Directors.
- Activity reports must relate to areas of strategic importance to a MLA unit, or to the MLA Strategic Plan.
- Reports from 2017/2018 and previous years can be found on MLANET in the Organization file library under Annual Reports.
ANNUAL REPORT CONTENT - Due April 5
- Leadership Roster - Found in community home on MLANET.
- Executive Summary – In 100 words or less (up to 6 bullet points), summarize the top achievements, activities or actions since Annual Meeting.
- Strategic Plan - List the latest goals, strategies, and status of specific objectives. If possible, include dates, metrics and schedule.
- MLA Strategic Plan - List specific contribution to MLA strategic goals (if applicable).
- Facts and Data - List key events held, items published, resources created, or other data.
- People Update - Chapters and Sections: list election results, sub-committee appointments, recognition or other information related to individuals. Committees and Task Forces: include new members.
- A motion may be attached.
- SAMPLE REPORT - follow this report style.
MIDYEAR REPORT CONTENT - Due October 15
In the spirit of reducing the administrative burden for MLA volunteers, midyear reports have been simplified to include only the executive summary, with the option of providing a motion or additional report, if warranted.
- Executive Summary – In 100 words or less (up to 6 bullet points), summarize the top achievements, activities or actions since May.
- A motion may be attached.
- For items which go beyond an executive summary, include rational to why it requires immediate Board attention and send to MLA Headquarters.
HOW TO SUBMIT A REPORT - LINK to submission form
- Report information should be clear and concise. (online reporting does not allow for complex formatting)
- Collect the above content information and paste to the online form on MLANET. LINK to 2018/2019 annual report online submission form.
- Section and Chapter Council Chairs report activities to the Board of Directors and present background on major issues, including motions presented to the Board.
- If a report contains a motion, upload a completed MOTION FORM. Also send a copy of the motion to Board liaison and/or MLA staff liaison. The motion should include the following background information:
- Name of MLA entity which is required to take action
- Specific action to be taken
- Costs, if any, which will be incurred and proposed sources of funding
- Time frame for the action
- Any documentation which will facilitate the Board's decision-making process (statement of circumstances prompting the motion and/or past MLA action on the issue)