Naomi C. Broering Latinx Heritage Grant
The Naomi C. Broering Latinx Heritage Grant* was endowed by MLA Past-President Naomi C. Broering, AHIP, FMLA, on the occasion of her more than 40 plus years as a member of the Medical Library Association (MLA). The Broering Latinx Heritage Grant will award $1,000 annually to a person of Latinx ethnicity, or a person who has an interest in Latinx community information services. Librarians who want to pursue a professional activity in the latest medical information services using the latest technical formats are encouraged to apply. The intent is to encourage health information professionals to gain knowledge about these important areas of practice and support MLA’s emphasis on evolving roles for the profession.
*In 2019, the MLA Board of Directors approved updates to the Vision, Values, and Mission of the Medical Library Association and to the terminology/definitions used by the organization. These changes came from the Diversity and Inclusion Taskforce after feedback from the membership. One of the terminology changes was that all references to “Hispanic” be removed and replaced with the term “Latinx.” As a result, the title of this grant was modified to comply with the updated terminologies.
- The applicant must:
- have the potential to make or has made significant contributions to medical information services using the latest technologies.
- be a member of MLA.
- be a citizen of or have permanent residence in either the United States or Canada.
- The applicant may be:
- a recent graduate or a librarian with significant experience in health sciences libraries.
- a member of the Latinx under-represented group or have an interest in providing Latinx community information services.
- The grant may be used for professional development and/or research activities in the areas of medical information services.
- The online application must be completed and any supporting documents uploaded no later than December 1.
- The applicant must include:
- a detailed specific description of the professional development and/or research activity for which support is requested.
- a statement of interest/previous activity in the area of medical informatics or data management.
- a detailed itemization of the financial support requested.
- Depending on the qualifications/requests of the candidates, the jury may recommend that the grant not be awarded in a given year.
- The period of disbursement will not exceed one year past the date of the MLA annual conference.
- MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Completed online application;
- Current curriculum vitae (required);
- Updated MLA member profile (optional).
Ready to Submit an Application?
- The Broering grant application process is closed.
- The grant recipient will be announced in March 2021.
- Applications will open next in August 2021.
- 2020: Nora Franco
- 2019: Ana M. Macias, AHIP
- 2018: Dede Rios, AHIP
- 2017: Adela V. Justice, AHIP
- 2016: none awarded
- 2015: Naomi C. Broering, AHIP, FMLA
Have a question? Contact MLA.