You are here
Find or Become a Mentor
Whether you are new to the profession, in mid-career, or exploring the profession, MLA can help you meet your career goals. MLA members can search the online member directory to find a mentor or update their member profile to become a mentor or expert to your peers. Find tip sheets, suggested Websites, and guidelines to help you in your mentor role.
For MLA Members: Find or Become a Mentor
- Log in [upper right corner]
- To become an MLA mentor, or to add expertise areas: in "My Account", select "My MLA Contact and Profile Information" to Update your Member Profile. In your profile, scroll down to edit Professional Expertise or Optional Mentoring Choices; OR
- To search for colleague experts and mentors, visit the Member Directory.
Not a Member? Contact us for a selected list of mentors that can help you in your professional life!
Find tip sheets, suggested Websites, and guidelines to help you in your mentor role.
- Mentor Agreement (needed for Academy credit only)
- Mentor Guidelines
- Mentor Tip Sheet
- Mentoring Brochure
Mentoring and Expertise Areas
The following are mentoring options available for search/selection in the MLA member directory:
- AHIP member and willing to serve as mentor to provisional members of the academy
- Willing to mentor a colleague seeking expertise.
- Willing to mentor new members of MLA or the profession.
- Willing to mentor those interested in changing specialties within medical librarianship.
- Willing to mentor those interested in changing their career to medical librarianship.
- Willing to mentor those needing help with resumes, cover letters, job interviews.
- Willing to speak about medical librarianship at career fairs, conferences, schools.
- Willing to do an informational interview about the profession or aspects of medical librarianship.
- Willing to host library school students for full- or half-day visits to medical library.
The following are the various expertise areas available for search or selection in the MLA member directory:
- accreditation (CARF, SoH, DPW, Joint Commission, Magnet)
- fund-raising, working with donors
- grant writing
- library management (budgets, staffing, planning, etc.)
- library space planning, construction, renovation
- marketing, promotion, outreach
- quality improvement, process improvement, reporting
- vendor relationships, negotiations, contracts
- experienced in handling press/journalist inquiries
- international connections
- meeting planning
- membership services, recruitment, retention
- unit websites
- volunteer roles
- course development - traditional
- course development - web-based
- self-directed learning
- patient safety, patient engagement
- career development
- copyright and intellectual property
- health information literacy
- international library relations
- job searches, interviewing, resume development
- papers and presentations
- publishing, authorship
- social media tools and best practices
- bibliographic/citation management software
- circulation management
- digital reference services
- end-user training
- expert searching
- ILL, Docline
- evidence-based practice (librarianship, medicine, etc.)
- needs assessment and user surveys
- research design and methodology (advanced)
- support for librarianship
- support for researchers (biomedical, clinical, marketing)
- academic, medical school libraries
- allied health
- archives & special collections
- clinical, informationist, embedded librarians
- consumer health
- corporate libraries
- federal (military, VA. etc.)
- health associations
- healthcare informatics
- history of the health sciences
- LRCs, computer labs
- mental health
- pharmacy, drug
- public health
- solo or one-person librarianship
- collection development
- electronic resource management
- indexing, cataloging, metadata
- library systems administration
- resource identification and selection
- serials management
- digitization, digital repositories
- emerging technologies
- Integrated library systems, federated search, discovery tools
- mobile technology & devices
- user interface design, usability studies and testing
- website design, development, management
Have ideas for additional expertise areas or mentoring categories? Contact Kate Corcoran at MLA Headquarters.