You are here
For Health Consumers
Top Health Websites
MLA's Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) evaluates websites based on credibility, sponsorship/authorship, content, audience, currency, disclosure, purpose, links, design, interactivity, and disclaimers.
Check out websites that have been deemed particularly useful (in each area, sites are listed in alphabetical, NOT ranked, order).
Find general health websites, and also sites recommended for
- breast cancer | diabetes
- eye disease | heart disease
- HIV/AIDS | stroke
What websites should I trust?
You just searched for a health term and got 2.2 million hits. Don't be discouraged! Connect to MLA's guide and learn to find and evaluate health information.
- Find tips on filtering health-related web pages in search engines;
- Learn to use quality electronic finding tools from trusted sources; and
- follow our guidelines to evaluate the content of health-related websites.
What did my doctor say?
ATYPICAL LOBULAR HYPERPLASIA (ALH)ALH is a condition where cells that do not look normal grow in the breast glands that make milk; it is not cancer, but the chance of getting breast cancer later may be greater if you have ALH.
UTER, UTEROThis is part of a word. It means uterus, also known as womb. Uterotonic means the tone or strength of the uterus muscles. VACCINE – These are drugs that are given to protect from disease. They can be given by mouth or in a shot. A flu shot is a vaccine.
RADIATION ABSORBED DOSE (RAD)This is a unit of measure for radiation.
Find good health information now
Find a Medical library
- You may be able to get health information at your local public library. Some public librarians have been trained to help you with your health questions.
- You can also try to find a local health or medical library that serves the public. Visit the MedlinePlus library locator page to find libraries in your state (US) or Province (Canada).
- If a library is not close by, you may try their website or call to see if they can help you with information.