MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Research Training Institute, Project Director, 2017–2020
- Research Imperative Task Force, Chair, 2015–2018
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, Virtual Projects Section Editor, 2013–
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, Virtual Projects Series Column, associate editor, 2013–
- Research Task Force, member, 2013-2014
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, member, 2001–2013
- Section Council, vice chair, 2010; Section Shuffle Planning Task Force, chair, 2009–2010
- Section Council Composition Review Task Force, member, 2007–2008
- National Program Committee, member, 2005–2007; 1994–1996
- National Library of Medicine/MLA Collaboration Task Force, chair, 1992–1996
- Research Section, mentoring coordinator, 2012-2015; Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 2009–2013; Nominating Committee, member, 2013, 2011, 2008; Section Council representative, 2010; Awards Committee, judge, 2010, 2005–2007; Section Council representative alternate, 2009; Web Redesign Task Force, chair, 2009; chair-elect, chair, immediate past chair, 2008–2010; treasurer/secretary, 2005–2007
- Medical Informatics Section, Nominating Committee, member, 2010; Section Council representative, 2007–2008
- Hospital Libraries Section, Nominating Committee, chair, 1994; chair-elect, chair, immediate past chair, 1992–1994; Section Council representative, 1988–1990
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona (MLGSCA), Technology Symposium, Logistics and Scheduling Committee, chair, 2009; MLA Western Chapters 2006 Annual Meeting (Seattle), representative, 2005–2006; Joint Meeting Continuing Education Committee, chair, 2003–2005; president/elect-program chair, president, immediate past president, 1986–1988; Advisory Council, chair, 1987; Legislative Committee, chair, 1984
- Northern California and Nevada Medical Library Group (NCNMLG), Legislative Committee, chair, 1981‑83
Honors and Awards
- President's Award, 2018
- Fellow, 2012
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1995–
- Certified Medical Librarian, 1977–1995
- University of California–Irvine, Librarian Emeritus, 2010, for exemplary career service and accomplishments
- University of California–Irvine, Distinguished Librarian,1997, for a career history of outstanding service to the library, the university, and the profession
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Recognized copyright expert; instrumental in the development of the University of California Copyright Education website
- Strong involvement with emerging technologies, especially for library information services and web development
- Active as mentor; served as a National Library of Medicine Associate Fellow supervisor
- Research Training Institute for Health Sciences Librarians, Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program grant (RE-95-17-0025; $238,989), lead, 2017– 2020
- University of California, Irvine, Emeritus Association, Executive Committee, 2010–
- University of California (UC) Health and Life Sciences Selectors Group, chair, 2005–2007
- Chancellor’s Distinguished Fellows Series Bibliography Program, coordinator/editor, 1999–2002
- Orange County Librarian's Association (OCLA), Board of Directors, member, 1989–1991
- Librarian Association of the University of California–Irvine (LAUC-I), chair, 1989–1990
- California State University/Statewide Nursing Consortium, Board of Directors, member, 1985–1988
- Medical Library Consortium of Santa Clara Valley, chair, 1980–1983
Publications (5 representative)
- Lessick S, Kraft M. Facing reality: the growth of virtual reality and health sciences libraries. JMLA 2017;105(4):407–408. (Cited June 6, 20180) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624433/?report=classic.
- Lessick S, Perryman C, Billman BL, Alpi KM, De Groote SL, Babin TD. Research engagement of health sciences librarians: a survey of research-related activities and attitudes. JMLA. 2016;104(2):166–173.
- Lessick S. On-site and web-based information services. In: Bandy M, Dudden R, eds., MLA Guide to managing health care libraries. 2nd Edition. New York: Neal-Schuman. 2011. 201-259.
- Lessick SR. Transforming reference staffing for the digital library. In: Lankes RD, Collins JW, Kasowitz AS, eds. Digital reference service in the new millennium: planning, management, and evaluation. New York: Neal-Schuman, 2000. (The new library series, no.6), 25–36.
- Lessick SR. Administration and organization of services. In: Lipscomb C, ed. Access and delivery of information in health sciences libraries. Chicago: Medical Library Association. 1996. (Bunting A, ed. Current Practice in Health Sciences Librarianship), 1–57.
- Head, Grunigen Medical Library, University of California–Irvine, 2003–2009
- Serials and Electronic Collections Librarian for the Health Sciences, University of California–Irvine, 2003–2009
- Special Associate for Copyright Education Planning, Office of Academic Initiatives, Office of the President, University of California, 2002–2003
- Assistant University Librarian for Research and Instructional Services (Acting), Libraries, University of California–Irvine, 1997–2002
- Head, Science Library Research and Instructional Services, University of California–Irvine, 1994–1997
- Head, Medical Center Library, University of California–Irvine, 1983–1994
- Manager, Health Sciences Library, San Jose Hospital, San Jose, CA, 1977–1983
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. News room: MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship [press release]. Chicago, IL: The Association.
- Mitchell N. Proceedings, 112th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, WA: awards ceremony J Med Lib Assoc. 2013 Jan;101(1):E1–E19 [Cited 27 Mar 2013].
- MLS, University of California–Berkeley, 1977
- MA, history, University of California–Los Angeles, 1977
- BA, history, San Jose State University, 1973. (Honors)
Contributed by Susan Lessick