Honors and Awards
- Honorary member, 1989
- John P. McGovern Award Lectureship, 1983: Such Labour'd Nothings, in So Strange a Style
- Michael E. DeBakey, Selma DeBakey, and Lois DeBakey Endowed Scholarship Fund in Medical Humanities, 2009
- Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics, 1989
- Harold Swanberg Distinguished Service Award of the American Medical Writer’s Association, 1970
- Fellow, American Medical Writer’s Association, 1958
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Worked to bring literacy to medical writing and encouraged physicians to talk with patients using common English instead of medical jargon
- Board of Regents of the National Library of Medicine, 1982–1986
- Editorial Board, Journal of the American Medical Association
- Advisory panel of the American Heritage Dictionary
- Chairman, Medical Media Center of Excellence Committee, Friends of the National Library of Medicine
Publications (5 representative)
- DeBakey, L, DeBakey S. Our silent enemy: ashes in our libraries. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1989 Jul;77(3):258–68. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC227429/.
- DeBakey L, DeBakey S. The case report. I. guidelines for preparation. Int J Cardiol. 1983 Oct;4(3):357–64.
- DeBakey L, DeBakey S. Medical writing. let thy words be few. Int J Cardiol. 1982;2(1):127–32. PubMed PMID: 7129683.
- DeBakey, L. The scientific journal: editorial policies and practices: guidelines for editors, reviewers and authors. St. Louis: C. V. Mosby; 1976.
- DeBakey L, DeBakey S. Ethics and etiquette in biomedical communication. Perspect Biol Med. 1975 Summer; 18(4):522–40.
- Professor of Scientific Communication, Baylor College of Medicine, 1968–
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Byrd GD, ed. Proceedings, Eighty-Ninth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association Boston, Massachusetts May 19–25, 1989. 1989. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1990 Jan;78(1):104.
- PhD, literature and linguistics, Tulane University
- MA, English, Tulane University
- BA, math, Sophie Newcomb College (part of Tulane University)
Contributed by Connie Schardt