You are here
A scholarship of up to $5,000.00 is awarded annually by the Medical Library Association (MLA) to a student who shows excellence in scholarship and potential for accomplishment in health sciences librarianship. The scholarship is announced at the annual meeting of the association, where the recipient will also receive a one-year student membership in the Medical Library Association and free inclusive student registration at the association’s annual meeting.
- The applicant must be entering a Masters program at an ALA-accredited graduate library school or, at the time of the granting of the scholarship (February), have completed no more than one-half of the academic requirements of the graduate program.
- The applicant must be a citizen of or have permanent residence in either the United States or Canada.
- Past recipients of the MLA Scholarship or the MLA Scholarship for Minority Students are not eligible to apply.
- The completed application form and accompanying materials must be received at MLA headquarters by December 1.
- Scholarship payments will be made in two equal installments, the period of disbursement not to exceed one year past the date of the annual meeting.
- The recipient will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the public announcement is made.
- The recipient assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the announcement is made. The association will underwrite the registration fees.
- Depending on the qualifications of the candidates, the jury may recommend that awards not be presented in a given year.
- MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
All materials must be received at MLA by December 1.
- Completed application;
- Two letters of reference sent to MLA Headquarters from persons who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s character, education, and abilities;
- Official transcript sent directly to MLA (firstname.lastname@example.org) from each college or university attended, including community college, undergraduate and graduate colleges attended;
- Copy of your library school’s catalog or Web page, which states the number of credits needed for your degree.
Ready to Submit an Application? Proceed to the application form.
Previous Scholarship Recipients
- 2015: Catherine Hana
- 2014: Allyson Mackay
- 2013: Laura Pavlech
- 2012: Kevin Pardon
- 2011: Karen Gutzman
- 2010: Kathryn Elliott
- 2009: Elaine Hicks
- 2008: Lisa O'Keefe
- 2007: Catherine Murch
- 2006: Christine Greipp
- 2005: Teresa Hammett
- 2004: Amanda Biggins
- 2003: Lori Gluckman Winterfeldt
- 2002: Shelagh Genuis
- 2001: Beverlee Warren
- 2000: Laurie Blasingame
- 1999: Cynthia Lynn Ammons
- 1998: Heather B. Blunt
- 1997: Joan Marie Kearns
- 1996: Sally K. Fessler
- 1995: Liane Lenski
- 1994: Ronald Banks
- 1993: Alicia Busch
- 1992: Heidi Ann Heilemann
- 1991: Joyce Condon
- 1990: Reeta Sinha
- 1989: Sara Louise Cook
- 1988: Colleen Anne Marty
- 1987: Douglas L. Varner
This award was temporarily discontinued after 1980. The scholarship was awarded once again after new guidelines were established similar to the Minority Scholarship in 1987/88.
- 1980: Fred H. Shapiro
- 1979: Paul J. Bredderman and Elaine Marie Russo
- 1978: Patricia Petroni
- 1977: Mary Ann DeMeo and Philip Wexler
- 1976: Suzanne Sager
- 1975: Janet S. Burwell and Kathleen Elaine Graham
- 1974: Virginia Feagler
- 1973: Susan B. Loesch and Elizabeth A. Guillaumin
- 1972: Margaret Summers and Lawrence Klein
- 1971: Mary Hayes and Helen Plachta
- 1970: None Awarded
- 1969: Deborah Bird, Diane Magidson, and Marialice Wilson
- 1968: Linda Angold, Howertine Leona Farrell, and Hollace Ellen Henkel
- 1967: Beatrice Kovars and Charles Snell
- 1966: Ronald Jeffreys and Jay S. Richmond
- 1965: Dorothy Eakin
Have a question? Contact MLA's Grants Coordinator