MLA Section Sponsored Awards and Grants
With the tranformation of MLA communities, section level awards may change in the coming months. See here for the lastest information on the communities transition. - July 2019
- Daniel T. Richards Prize, $250 (open to all MLA members): Awarded to the authors of a work, in any format (print, audiovisual, electronic, etc.), related to collection development in the health sciences.
- Consumer Health Librarian of the Year, $1000 (open to all MLA members): Presented to a consumer health librarian who exemplifies the best in consumer librarianship.
- CAPHIS Professional Development Award, up to $500 (open to CAPHIS members): Provides funding for professional development activities.
- Annual Meeting Grant, $250 (open to EMTS members): Presented to cover travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Erich Meyerhoff Prize, $500 (open to all MLA members): Awarded for the best unpublished scholarly paper about a topic in the history of the health sciences.
- Hospital Libraries Section/MLA Professional Development Grants, up to $800 (open to all MLA members): Supports educational or research activitites for librarians in hospital or similar clinical settings.
- Professional Development Award, $500 (open to HLS members): Recognizes those papers and/or posters at the MLA Annual Meeting that best represent hospital librarianship.
- Professional Recognition Award (open to HLS members): Recognizes those who have contributed laudably to the field of hospital librarianship may be nominated in the following categories: Leadership; Publication; Research; and Technological Innovation.
- Catch A Rising Star (open to HLS members): Awarded to a member who has already shown great promise in the field of hospital librarianship through their achievements.
- Scroll of Exemplary Service (open to HLS members): Awarded to a member who made a difference in advancing the cause of hospital librarianship over the past year.
- Travel grant to MLA annual meeting, $1000 (open to HLS members): Covers travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
Avraham Reis ICS International Conference Travel Grant, up to $500 (open to ICS members): Presented to support travel and conference-related expenses for attending an international health sciences library conference, such as IFLA, AHILA, or EAHIL.
- Professional Development Award, $1500: Supports leadership skills development through appropriate educational activities.
- Medical Informatics Section/MLA Career Development Grant, $1500 (open to all MLA members; MIS membership preferred): Supports a career development activity that will contribute to the advancement of the field of medical informatics.
New Voices Travel Stipends, $250, or more (open to all MLA Members) Supports five first time paper presenters who self-designate upon submitting abstracts to MLA.
- Award for Professional Excellence, $100 (open to NAHRS members): Presented for outstanding leadership and service for a librarian in meeting the information needs of nursing and allied health professionals.
- Recognition for Lifetime Professional Contribution (open to NAHRS members): Acknowledges a career of service at the time of retirement.
- Research Award, $200 (requires one NAHRS member per group): Presented to a group involved in library research at their institution. May be given more than once a year.
- Special Recognition Award (open to NAHRS members): Highlights unique efforts contributing to the success of the Section.
Travel Award, $500 (open to NAHRS members): Presented to assist a NAHRS member in covering costs to travel to the MLA annual meeting.
- AccessPharmacy Travel Award, $500: Assists in covering travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Research Award, $300 (at least one applicant must be a member of MLA; PH/HA membership preferred): Recognizes the best paper in the field of public health or health administration librarianship.
- Travel Stipend, up to $1000 (open to PH/HA members): Assists one section member in attending the MLA annual meeting who would otherwise have difficulty in doing so.
- Sewell Stipend to Attend APHA: Defrays expenses of attending the American Public Health Association meeting.
- MLA Meeting Travel Stipend, $500: Covers travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Chamya Kincy Memorial Travel Grant, $500 (open to TSS members), can be used to cover any expenses incurred as part of your attendance at MLA, from registration fees to child care fees.
- MLA Meeting Poster and Paper Award: Cash awards are presented for first and second place for papers and posters as well as a separate award for the highest quality research poster or paper presented by a hospital librarian at the annual meeting.
- Award for Best Biennial JMLA Research Paper: Cash award given every other year, in even numbered years, to recognize the best high-quality peer-reviewed research paper by an MLA member author published in the two previous years in the Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA).
- Annual Meeting Grant: Covers registration for two Research Section members.
- Research Training Quality Award: Cash award given recognize quality training by library practitioners that focus on ‘skilling up’ librarians in an area of research practice.
- Research Training Institute Award: Covers registration and travel expenses up to $2300 for one Research Section member accepted into the institute.