For eligibility and criteria details, see below or contact the section. Some awards are open to all MLA members. Others are open only to section members.
- Daniel T. Richards Prize, $250 (open to all MLA members): Awarded to the authors of a work, in any format (print, audiovisual, electronic, etc.), related to collection development in the health sciences.
- Consumer Health Librarian of the Year, $1000 (open to all MLA members): Presented to a consumer health librarian who exemplifies the best in consumer librarianship.
- CAPHIS Professional Development Award, up to $500 (open to CAPHIS members): Provides funding for professional development activities.
- Annual Meeting Grant, $250 (open to EMTS members): Presented to cover travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Erich Meyerhoff Prize, $500 (open to all MLA members): Awarded for the best unpublished scholarly paper about a topic in the history of the health sciences.
- Hospital Libraries Section/MLA Professional Development Grants, up to $800 (open to all MLA members): Supports educational or research activitites for librarians in hospital or similar clinical settings.
- Professional Development Award, $500 (open to HLS members): Recognizes those papers and/or posters at the MLA Annual Meeting that best represent hospital librarianship.
- Professional Recognition Award (open to HLS members): Recognizes those who have contributed laudably to the field of hospital librarianship may be nominated in the following categories: Leadership; Publication; Research; and Technological Innovation.
- Catch A Rising Star (open to HLS members): Awarded to a member who has already shown great promise in the field of hospital librarianship through their achievements.
- Scroll of Exemplary Service (open to HLS members): Awarded to a member who made a difference in advancing the cause of hospital librarianship over the past year.
- Travel grant to MLA annual meeting, $1000 (open to HLS members): Covers travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
Avraham Reis ICS International Conference Travel Grant, up to $500 (open to ICS members): Presented to support travel and conference-related expenses for attending an international health sciences library conference, such as IFLA, AHILA, or EAHIL.
- Professional Development Award, $1500: Supports leadership skills development through appropriate educational activities.
- Medical Informatics Section/MLA Career Development Grant, $1500 (open to all MLA members; MIS membership preferred): Supports a career development activity that will contribute to the advancement of the field of medical informatics.
New Voices Travel Stipends, $250, or more (open to all MLA Members) Supports five first time paper presenters who self-designate upon submitting abstracts to MLA.
- Award for Professional Excellence, $100 (open to NAHRS members): Presented for outstanding leadership and service for a librarian in meeting the information needs of nursing and allied health professionals.
- Recognition for Lifetime Professional Contribution (open to NAHRS members): Acknowledges a career of service at the time of retirement.
- Research Award, $200 (requires one NAHRS member per group): Presented to a group involved in library research at their institution. May be given more than once a year.
- Special Recognition Award (open to NAHRS members): Highlights unique efforts contributing to the success of the Section.
Travel Award, $500 (open to NAHRS members): Presented to assist a NAHRS member in covering costs to travel to the MLA annual meeting.
- AccessPharmacy Travel Award, $500: Assists in covering travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Research Award, $300 (at least one applicant must be a member of MLA; PH/HA membership preferred): Recognizes the best paper in the field of public health or health administration librarianship.
- Travel Stipend, up to $1000 (open to PH/HA members): Assists one section member in attending the MLA annual meeting who would otherwise have difficulty in doing so.
- Sewell Stipend to Attend APHA: Defrays expenses of attending the American Public Health Association meeting.
- MLA Meeting Travel Stipend, $500: Covers travel expenses to the MLA annual meeting.
- Chamya Kincy Memorial Travel Grant, $500 (open to TSS members), can be used to cover any expenses incurred as part of your attendance at MLA, from registration fees to child care fees.
- MLA Meeting Poster and Paper Award: Cash awards are presented for first and second place for papers and posters as well as a separate award for the highest quality research poster or paper presented by a hospital librarian at the annual meeting.
- Award for Best Biennial JMLA Research Paper: Cash award given every other year, in even numbered years, to recognize the best high-quality peer-reviewed research paper by an MLA member author published in the two previous years in the Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA).
- Annual Meeting Grant: Covers registration for two Research Section members.
- Research Training Quality Award: Cash award given recognize quality training by library practitioners that focus on ‘skilling up’ librarians in an area of research practice.
- Research Training Institute Award: Covers registration and travel expenses up to $2300 for one Research Section member accepted into the institute.