Students can take advantage of a full MLA membership for the reduced rate of $50 per year! Get started today by joining or following the links below to learn about the profession, MLA, scholarships, and more.
Get information on the health information profession
- Explore what it means to be a medical librarian: Learn about what medical librarians do, where they work, and what they earn
- Pearls of Wisdom: Sage words of advice and encouragement from one of MLA's most esteemed leaders, Lucretia W. McClure, AHIP, FMLA
- Read about things of interest to a medical librarian in MLA President Michelle Kraft's Krafty Librarian blog
- YouTube Elevator Speeches: Medical librarians discuss their jobs: Assoc. Dir. Library Technical Services, Archivist,Systems Librarian, Hospital Librarian
- Find library schools offering courses in health librarianship
- Find an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school program near you.
Go to MLA's Advocacy Center to find out about:
- Health sciences library statistics
- Types of health sciences libraries
- National Library of Medicine
- Roles of health sciences librarians
- MLA as the Association for health sciences librarians
- Professional competencies for health sciences librarians
- 21st century challenges
Explore a career in health sciences information
In MLA's Career Center, you can find out more about the role of health sciences or medical librarians:
- What is a health sciences or medical librarian? What do they do?
- How much to health sciences librarians earn?
- What education do I need to become a health sciences librarian?
- Where do health sciences librarians work?
- Job listings
- Hire Me! Finding an Academic Library Job edited by Dean Hendrix, Liz Stellrecht, and Michelle L. Zafron (2016 edition).
Connect with other Students, Future Colleagues, and Mentors
- Connect with a medical librarian eager to speak with students about their jobs and the profession
- MLA Student Community (coming soon!): Connect with other students and future colleagues
Grants and Scholarships for Students
- MLA Scholarship and Grants
- MLA Scholarship
- MLA Scholarship for Minority Students
- Rittenhouse Award
- NLM/MLA Spectrum Scholarship
- MLA/Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Leadership and Career Development Program
Discover MLA's professional development programs:
- Competencies for professional success
- eLearning opportunities
- Discussion group program
- Independent reading program
- AHIP credential: The Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Specializations in Consumer Health Information and Disaster Information
- Grants, scholarships and fellowships
Become an MLA Member
Connect, learn, and lead! Join MLA today! Student membership rates are $61/year for eligible individuals.