Students can take advantage of a full MLA membership for the reduced rate of $50 per year! Get started today by joining or following the links below to learn about the profession, MLA, scholarships, and more.
Get information on the health information profession
- Explore what it means to be a medical librarian: Learn about what medical librarians do, where they work, and what they earn
- Pearls of Wisdom: Sage words of advice and encouragement from one of MLA's most esteemed leaders, Lucretia W. McClure, AHIP, FMLA
- Read about things of interest to a medical librarian in MLA President Michelle Kraft's Krafty Librarian blog
- YouTube Elevator Speeches: Medical librarians discuss their jobs: Assoc. Dir. Library Technical Services, Archivist,Systems Librarian, Hospital Librarian
- Find library schools offering courses in health librarianship
- Find an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school program near you.
Go to MLA's Advocacy Center to find out about:
- Health sciences library statistics
- Types of health sciences libraries
- National Library of Medicine
- Roles of health sciences librarians
- MLA as the Association for health sciences librarians
- Professional competencies for health sciences librarians
- 21st century challenges
Explore a career in health sciences information
In MLA's Career Center, you can find out more about the role of health sciences or medical librarians:
- What is a health sciences or medical librarian? What do they do?
- How much to health sciences librarians earn?
- What education do I need to become a health sciences librarian?
- Where do health sciences librarians work?
- Job listings
- Hire Me! Finding an Academic Library Job edited by Dean Hendrix, Liz Stellrecht, and Michelle L. Zafron (2016 edition).
The Career Preparation Tips pages provide valuable information for high school students, college students, and library school students.
Connect with other Students, Future Colleagues, and Mentors
- Connect with a medical librarian eager to speak with students about their jobs and the profession
- MLA Student Community (coming soon!): Connect with other students and future colleagues
Grants and Scholarships for Students
- MLA Scholarship and Grants
- MLA Scholarship
- MLA Scholarship for Minority Students
- Rittenhouse Award
- NLM/MLA Spectrum Scholarship
- MLA/Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Leadership and Career Development Program
Discover MLA's professional development programs:
- Competencies for professional success
- eLearning opportunities
- Discussion group program
- Independent reading program
- AHIP credential: The Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Specializations in Consumer Health Information and Disaster Information
- Grants, scholarships and fellowships
Become an MLA Member
Connect, learn, and lead! Join MLA today! Student membership rates are $61/year for eligible individuals.