Section Project of the Year
The Medical Library Association (MLA) Section Project of the Year Award was established by the MLA Board of Directors in 2010. The award was proposed as one of the ways to encourage health sciences librarians to demonstrate their creativity, ingenuity, cooperation, and leadership, within the framework of the mandate of the section. These attributes must be shown through special projects beyond the normal operational programming of the section. The recipient section receives a certificate at the annual meeting and a cash award of $500 after the annual meeting. The award will be presented to the recipient section’s chair or other section officer/member designated as the representative by the section chair.
- Applicants must be sections of the MLA as defined by the MLA Bylaws.
- Support by the section for the application, as evidenced by an endorsement from the section chair on behalf of the executive committee or officiating body of the section.
- Application is made for excellence in special projects or innovative operational programming demonstrating advocacy, leadership, service, technology, or innovations that contribute to the advancement of health sciences librarianship.
- Evidence and assessment of the achievements and impact of the project on the profession and the members of the affected sections must be demonstrated through goals, objectives and project evaluation or outcome.
- The section project must have been completed within the three years preceding the date of the application or must be an ongoing program that accomplishes the same goals set out for project criteria. Projects/programs chievements and impact of the project on the profession and the members of the affected section must be demonstrated through goals, objectives, and project evaluation or outcome.
- Application form, including all supporting documentation, must be completed no later then November 1.
- Application must be accompanied by an acknowledgement and endorsement letter from the section’s chair on behalf of the executive committee or officiating body of the section.
The chair of the recipient section will be notified in March before the annual meeting at which the presentation will be made. The recipient section/section’s representative assumes all costs of attending the meeting and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit an Application?
- Choose the 2018 Section Award online application form.
- Complete online form and upload all documents no later then November 1, 11:59 p.m. (CT).
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
Past Award Recipients
- 2018: Dental Section: A Comprehensive Summary of Services and Resources Provided by Librarians in support of CODA Accredited Predoctoral (DDS/DMD) Dental Education Programs in the United States and Canada
- 2017: Medical Informatics Section: "Data Discovery Bootcamp!"
- 2016: Veterinary Medical Libraries Section: "Promoting and Advocating for the Profession: Creating a Multi-Faceted Illustrated History of the Veterinary Medical Libraries Section(VMLS) and its impact"
- 2015: Educational Media and Technologies Section: "Delving into Distance Support: Instructional Design, Library Role and Social Media" Webinar
- 2014: Medical Library Education Section: "New Voices" Program
- 2013: Federal Libraries Section: Federal Libraries Value Project
- 2012: Cancer Librarians Section: "Revitalize Your Message," innovative programming for MLA '11
- 2011: none awarded
Have a question? Contact MLA's awards coordinator.