Lois Ann Colaianni Award for Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship
This award is given to a member of the association who has made significant contributions to the profession through overall distinction or leadership in hospital library administration or service, production of a definitive publication related to hospital librarianship, teaching, research, advocacy, or the development or application of innovative technology to hospital librarianship. Presented for the first time in 1991, it was renamed in honor of Lois Ann Colaianni in 1999.
- Nominees must be members of MLA.
- Nominees must be hospital librarians at the time of the award and must have worked in a hospital library for at least five years immediately preceding the award.
- The nomination may be made for contributions to hospital librarianship as demonstrated by excellence and achievement in service, advocacy, leadership, publications, presentations, teaching, research, technology, administration, special projects, or any combination of these areas.
- The online nomination must be completed and all supporting documents uploaded no later than November 1.
- Nominations must contain a precise description of the nominee’s achievements.
- Late and incomplete nominations will not be considered.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual conference at which the presentation will be made. The recipient receives a certificate at the association’s annual conference and a cash award of $500 after the annual conference. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the conference and the ceremony at which the presentation is made. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to make the award in a given year.
Nominations should include a description of the nominee’s qualifications for this award, including specific comments on the following:
Description of Significant Professional Achievements
This includes but is not limited to:
- overall distinction or leadership in hospital library administration or service;
- production of a definitive publication related to hospital librarianship;
- teaching, research, or advocacy;
- the development or application of innovative technology to hospital librarianship; or
- any other appropriate activity.
Accomplishments in Hospital Library Work
- Describe the nature and quality of the nominee’s hospital library work, noting special achievements, innovation, initiative, special strengths, and demonstration of leadership.
Impact of Work
- Describe the effect of the nominee’s work on their institution and the extent of its influence beyond.
Service to the Profession
- Describe the nominee’s service to MLA, to other professional organizations, and evidence of her/his professional leadership role.
Visibility and Recognition of Work
- Describe the extent to which the nominee’s achievements are recognized by institutional colleagues, administrators, and library users.
Major Current Undertakings
- Describe the work and other activities in which the nominee is currently engaged that demonstrate continuing endeavor and involvement in hospital librarianship.
- Current curriculum vitae or resume. (required)
- Any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient.
- Up to three letters of support may be included. (optional)
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- Choose the 2021 Colaianni Award nomination form.
- Once saved, the nomination form remains open for changes or to upload supporting documents until November 1, 2020, 11:59 p.m. (CDT).
- Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
Past Award Recipients
- 2020: Barbara S. Reich, AHIP
- 2019: Heather J. Martin, AHIP
- 2018: Edward J. Poletti, AHIP
- 2017: Marian T. Simonson, AHIP
- 2016: Donna B. Flake, AHIP
- 2015: Geneva Bush Staggs, AHIP
- 2014: Heather N. Holmes, AHIP
- 2013: Priscilla L. Stephenson, AHIP
- 2012: Mary Virginia Taylor
- 2011: Barbara J. Henry
- 2010: Michele A. Spatz
- 2009: none awarded
- 2008: Jan Orick, AHIP
- 2007: Ethel Madden
- 2006: Janet Schneider
- 2005: Mary Fran Prottsman, AHIP
- 2004: Christine Chastain-Warheit, AHIP
- 2003: Ysabel Bertolucci
- 2002: Margaret Bandy, AHIP, FMLA
- 2001: Carole M. Gilbert, AHIP, FMLA
- 2000: Jacqueline Brown Ramseur
- 1999: Jacqueline D. Bastille, AHIP, FMLA
- 1998: Kay Cimpl Wagner
- 1997: Cheryl R. Dee, AHIP, FMLA
- 1996: Michele S. Klein, AHIP
- 1995: Jacqueline D. Doyle, AHIP, FMLA
- 1994: Linda G. Markwell
- 1993: Bernie Todd Smith
- 1992: Susan Schweinsberg Long, AHIP
- 1991: Pamela Jean Jajko
- 1990: Kathleen Murray*
- 1989: Rya Ben-Shir, AHIP*
- 1987: Kathleen Moeller, AHIP, FMLA*
*Established as a national award in 1991, prior awards given by the Hospital Libraries Section as the Hospital Librarian of the Year Award.
Have a question? Contact MLA