Harriet L. Steuernagel Continuing Education Grant
The Harriet L. Steuernagel Continuing Education Grant provides professional development support to members working in the library and dental profession. In 2000 the MLA Dental Section established the Steuernagel Award to honor longtime member and MLA Fellow Harriet L. Steuernagel. Known as a tireless librarian, she volunteered at Washington University long after her official retirement in 1981 and encouraged those new to the profession to become more active in MLA. Initially funded through a donation from the Alumni Association of the Washington University of Dentistry, the award was elevated to a national level MLA grant in 2021.
- The applicant must:
- hold a graduate degree in library science.
- be a practicing health sciences information professional with at least one year of experience.
- be working with a dental program and/or with dental resources.
- be a member of MLA. (membership options)
- The applicant may not have received an MLA grant, scholarship, or other awards within the last year.
- It is preferred that the applicant:
- be a member of the Dental Caucus. Proof of caucus membership history may be confirmed by contacting MLA Member Services.
- update their MLA member profile page.
The grant jury will assess the application and score points based on statement of career objectives, relevance of course to objectives, funding justification, and clarity of application.
- The online application must be completed, and all supporting documents uploaded no later than November 15.
- The application should include:
- a description of the professional development activity, including scope, duration, and budget.
- a detailed itemization of the financial support requested.
- indication of how skills obtained may result in a specific outcome (e.g., planned research project, publication, change in library operations, etc.)
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Awarding of Grant
- No more than one employee per institution per year.
- Not given to support work toward a degree or certificate program.
- One to five grants will be awarded per year, with a maximum (aggregate) award of $500.
- The grant may be used for professional development and/or activities in the areas of medical information services.
- All proposed expenses must clearly align with the intention of the grant and will be evaluated for relevance.
- Funding may be used for reasonable and actual expenses that meet MLA guidelines:
- Direct costs related to profession development or conference attendance (e.g., registration fees, books)
- Direct costs related to the project, where applicable (e.g., scans of library resources or interlibrary loans, teleconferencing fees, virtual polling software)
- Physical travel within North America, or international travel when specifically allowed (e.g., mileage, travel fares, lodging)
- Costs to enable the awardee to travel (may allow for compensation for reasonable expenses, e.g., family caregiving)
- The funds may not be used for institutional overhead, other indirect costs, or income tax payments.
- The recipient and nonrecipients will be notified in March before the public announcement is made.
- The grant recipient(s) will receive grant funds in after expense statements, receipts, and verification of program completion are submitted to MLA headquarters in June.
- The amount requested and actual grant awarded may not necessarily be the same amount. The amount reimbursed will not exceed actual expenses.
- The period of disbursement of grant funds will not exceed one year past the date of the MLA annual conference.
- The recipient will be asked to share a photo and video for the virtual awards ceremony held in April.
- If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to present the grant in a given year.
Ready to Submit an Application?
- The grant application process is closed.
- The recipient will be announced in March 2024.
- Applications will open next in August 2024.
- 2023: Jennifer Silverman
- 2022: none awarded
Have a question? Contact MLA