NEW MLA Scholarship
A scholarship of up to $1,000 is awarded annually by the Medical Library Association (MLA) to a student who shows excellence in scholarship and potential for accomplishment in health sciences librarianship. The scholarship is announced at the annual conference of the association, where the recipient will also receive a one-year student membership in MLA and free inclusive student registration at the association’s annual conference. This scholarship is supported by the Lucretia W. McClure endowment fund.
- The applicant must be entering a master's program at an American Library Association (ALA)–accredited graduate library school or, at the time of the granting of the scholarship (March), have completed no more than one-half of the academic requirements of the graduate program.
- The applicant must be a citizen of or have permanent residence in either the United States or Canada.
- The recipient may receive only one MLA scholarship in a given year.
- Past recipients of the MLA Scholarship or the MLA Scholarship for Under-represented Students are not eligible to apply.
- Membership in MLA is not required. (discounted student membership is available)
- The online application must be completed, and all supporting documents uploaded no later than November 15, 2022.
- The disbursement of funds will not exceed one year past the date of the annual conference. Payments will be made in two equal installments. The first in June after the annual conference. The second payment is made after the fall semester when updated transcripts are received by MLA.
- The recipient will be notified in March before the annual conference at which the public announcement is made. The recipient assumes all costs of attending the conference and the ceremony at which the announcement is made. The association will underwrite the conference registration fees.
- Depending on the qualifications of the candidates, the jury may recommend that the scholarship not be presented in a given year.
- MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
- Completed application.
- Unofficial, or official, transcripts uploaded in the application from each college or university attended, including community college, undergraduate and graduate colleges.
- Copy of library school’s catalog or web page, which states the number of credits needed for a degree, uploaded to the application.
NOTE: One application serves for three MLA Scholarships. One jury reviews all submissions to all three scholarships. Duplicate submissions are not necessary.
Ready to Submit an Application?
- The scholarship application process is closed.
- The recipient will be announced in March 2023.
- Applications will open next in August 2023.
- 2022: Katie Dillon
Have a question? Contact MLA