February 22-26, 2021
To Experience MLA,
this week I will...
Read: Check out the Consumer and Patient Health Information Caucus recommended consumer health titles
Access: Fall 2020 InSight program "Equitable Access to Knowledge" recordings, documents, slides
Get Local: Explore MLA Chapters
Discover: Collection Development Caucus "Collection Development Best Practices"
Access: All the free Open Science education sessions from MLA '20
Make MLA your professional home.
Here are a few reasons why...
Grow your expertise by engaging with colleagues who do the job you do
MLA’s forty-three caucuses include a wide variety of health information specialties and diverse affinity groups. Have a question about technology, budgeting, best practices, specific search questions, or fostering of diversity and inclusion in your library? Get feedback and answers to questions that perhaps no one else in your institution can give you.
MLA is my professional community home, and it’s all about the people for me...It is my support both professionally and personally.
Further your career by connecting with your MLA network
Whether you are just starting out as a health information professional or in the midst of your professional journey, career planning and job hunting can be a little intimidating. Tap into the knowledge and skills of MLA’s experienced leaders who are ready to assist if you need
• career advice • discussion about the job market • resume or CV review • mock interviews.
It was a real motivator to speak with my reviewer about my resume and job search. After speaking with her, I was able to update my resume and feel good about it.
Pay it forward
Are you looking to give back to your professional community? MLA has many avenues to lend your talents and expertise to help your colleagues.
What works best for you?
- Become a mentor: whether you're willing to have a longer term mentoring relationship or can just provide quick answers, our mentoring database has many expertise areas you can share--just update your profile!
- Are publications your thing? Volunteer to conduct peer reviews for the Journal of the Medical Library Association.
- Or, teach...write blog posts...review grants, scholarships, or awards...present at a meeting...share ideas in a caucus...or engage in practice area projects!
Be recognized by your peers with prestigious MLA awards, honors, and grants
Further your research, enhance your professional development, get doctoral assistance, and more through MLA’s awards, grants, scholarships, and fellowship programs.
MLA has award and grant opportunities available for all career stages, including the Rising Stars leadership development program. Mid-career professionals are eligible for the Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year and many others
Advance the association. Be an MLA leader!
MLA member contributions matter! As examples, National Program Committee members assemble learning, speaking, and networking opportunities that members need to grow in their jobs and careers. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee builds activities and programs that sustain a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment.
Share your leadership by serving on an MLA committee or jury: MLA appoints over 200 members to serve on committees and juries each year.
MLA provides me the opportunity to serve in various capacities in caucuses and committees... Through these interactions, I have grown professionally as a librarian, leader, and MLA member.
Impact the profession by contributing to the voice of MLA
MLA is focused on creating programs and initiatives that advance its members and the health sciences information profession.
The go-to place for members to access integrated content, MLA domain hubs are where MLA caucuses and individuals collaborate on activities of interest to members, the public, and health care providers. Organized by seven areas of practice of the health information profession, domain hubs provide a window into the profession and access to open resources.
MLA InSight Initiative
MLA’s InSight Initiative is a thought-leadership initiative that is uniquely designed to address the problem of disintermediation between information consumers and information providers.
MLA members and publishers engage in high-level, high-value conversations on issues that matter to both communities. The program reinforces, expands, and communicates the value that health information professionals contribute in the chain of moving information from the author to the reader.
Thanks for the wonderful well-run Insight summit. The best part is that there were meaningful conversations happening all over the place.
Access value exclusive to MLA members
MLA membership is the best return on investment for advancing your career. Take advantage of:
- Funding via MLA’s grants, scholarships, and fellowships program—including no-cost registrations for the MLA ‘21 vConference—only for MLA members.
- Member discounts for learning, MLA ’21 registration, credentialing, specializations, and publications.
- Information on the latest industry news, trends, activities and resources found in MLAConnect, free with membership.
We are MLA...STRONGER TOGETHER!
MLA is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment where all are welcome, valued, and encouraged to participate in shaping the present and future of the organization.
- Learn, network, and enjoy interactions with colleagues in a safe professional space. MLA’s Statement of Appropriate Conduct seeks to ensure that respect and professional behaviors are intertwined throughout all MLA activities.
- Statements of solidarity from MLA, MLA caucuses, and domain hubs affirm MLA’s collective commitment to social justice and ending racial inequality.
- The “I Am MLA” campaign celebrates our diverse membership and shared vision.