InSight Initiative: Summit 3
The June 12–13, 2019, summit brings together MLA leaders and select participating organizations to engage in high-level, high-value dialogue on issues of common interest that impact the health information profession. For more information about this initiative, including objectives, outcomes, guidelines, and task force members, please consult the InSight Initiative home page.
Detailed Summit 3 information
Theme: Bridgebuilding: What Bridges to Build and How
The third InSight Summit will provide a forum where librarians, publishers, and aggregators collaborate and brainstorm concrete measures to address frustration, challenges, and opportunities in providing services to the full range of health sciences library users. The summit format is built around panel discussions—one each for information providers, librarians, and users—followed by focused small-group activities aimed at discovering actionable approaches to more effective deployment of information resources.
This summit aims to produce specific plans that can be adopted by publishers, aggregators, and librarians designed to better position the library at the core of student, clinician, and researcher workflows. These plans will emerge from intense small-group discussions and real-time synthesis during the summit. Also, two to three initiatives will be chosen for further development by volunteer work groups who will collaborate on specific tangible outcome initiatives following this summit.
- Develop an enhanced understanding of frustrations, challenges, and opportunities in providing services to health sciences library users on the part of senior representatives of publishers and aggregators
- Develop an enhanced understanding of frustrations, challenges, and opportunities in providing services to health sciences library users on the part of senior librarians
- Develop an enhanced understanding of library user frustrations and challenges as well as their perception of opportunities for libraries to better serve their needs
- Devise a work plan template for developing tangible outcomes related to identified and prioritized actionable initiatives
June 12, 2019, 1:00 p.m., to June 13, 2019, 3:00 p.m.
Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago
163 E Walton Place*
Chicago, IL 60611
*downtown Chicago, half a block from Michigan Avenue
Click here to book online for the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel for the night of June 12, 2019. The deadline to make your reservation is May 10, 2019.
Contact Mary Langman if you need assistance.
MLA plans balanced representation of librarian leaders and participating organizations. The committee estimates the second summit will convene fifteen to twenty librarians and fifteen to twenty participating organization representatives.
Consider applying as a librarian participant if:
- You have professional knowledge, expertise, and interest in the summit theme;
- You will commit to:
- attendance at the summit;
- between three and five hours of preparatory work (pre-summit);
- active participation and contribution to the work of the summit; and
- up to ten hours of follow-up work (post-summit activities and products).
There is no registration fee for librarian participants. MLA will support the actual travel expenses of librarian participants (summit hotel and transportation) up to $600.
- Application deadline: April 18, 2019
- Acceptance notification: April 24
- Hotel reservation cut-off date: May 13
- Summit: June 12–13
- American Psychiatric Association Publishing
- American Psychological Association
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) (new for summit 3)
- BMJ Publishing Group
- JAMA Network
- Massachusetts Medical Society/NEJM
- McGraw Hill Education
- Oxford University Press
- Springer Nature
- Wolters Kluwer Health Learning Research & Practice
Companies interested in participating should contact Dan Doody, who is responsible for participating organization recruitment for the MLA InSight Initiative; 312.239.6226.
Cost and travel support for librarian participants
There is no registration fee for librarian participants. MLA will support the travel expenses of librarian participants (summit hotel and transportation) up to $600.
MLA has made arrangements with the Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago, 163 E Walton Place, Chicago, IL 60611. Make your reservation for InSight Initiative Summit 3 for the night of June 12, 2019, no later than May 13, 2019.
Contact Mary Langman if you need assistance.
- John Gallagher, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Barbara Platts, AHIP, Munson Healthcare, Traverse City, MI
- Amanda Sprochi, AHIP, University of Missouri–Columbia
Representatives from Participating Organizations
- Deborah Harris, F1000
- David Nygren, American Psychological Association
- Michael Weitz, McGraw-Hill
Liaison and Facilitators
- Gerald (Jerry) Perry, AHIP, FMLA, University of Arizona–Tucson, liaison to InSight Initiative Task Force
- Daniel J. Doody, Facilitator
- Rich Lampert, Facilitator